SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to the gas mileage I should look towards getting on my 92 with the 2.3 non turbo. I have had the car for a few months but that time has been mainly spent in storage. According to the display I am getting about 18.5 is this low high or common if low any ideas on how to fix?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi mate, it depends weather you do alot of town driving or on the motorway (highway). If the car has been in storage, give it a good service, change the plugs, oil, fuel filter,air filter, and put some decent petrol in it. I get about 18 mpg out of mine around town...but on the motorway that goes up to about 34-36 depends if i drive it like a loon!! Lol
Let us know how you get on. Col

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Even in stop and go City driving in the dead of winter I don't go below 21 mpg with my 97 Aero.

These engines are very efficient.

On the highway in summer I see under 8 l/100 km which is 36 mpg Imperial or 32 mpg US. In the City I average no more than around 12 //100 km which is the 23 mpg Imperial or 21 mog US I refer to.

Your S should use a bit more fuel on the highway and a bit less in the City than the turbo. Try new plugs. Are you filling with regular 87 or premium 91 or 92? Your engine is knock sensor controlled just as the turbos are and gets better fuel economy on 87 than 91 because the higher octane fuels have less energy per unit volume. However, the figures I gave you are using 91 octane as my Aero won't run properly on less.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The first question you guys should have asked is it a 5 speed Manual or Auto Transmission!

That makes a difference in the gas mileage on a Non-Turbo. I know my 92 9000 S used to have an auto trans and I converted it to 5 speed.

In city driving with the auto transmission I was lucky if I saw the edu display go above 19mpg, and the best I ever saw was the low 20's with highway driving.

Since the conversion to the 5 speed manual transmission I have never dropped below 25mpg on the edu display in city or highway driving

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I am not sure about round town driving, but my 93 griffin will do over 30mpg on highway running. That is not pushing it hard, but using the full power for passing now and then (stage II tune).

The display showed 9.4l/100km on a recent 1200km trip that included some round town running. That is just a fraction over 30mpg (English figures)

If I reset it and do a trip on the highway it can show 8.9l/100km. nearly 32mpg.

My 96 900s 2.3 na will do 7l/100km on the highway, about 40mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5 speed

It is a five speed. I can't stand driving slushbox's.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Over a period of 4 years, my wife got 19.6 city and 30.2 (miles per US gallon) highway in her '92 9000S 5 sp.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Give it a tune up...new set of spark plugs - the proper NGK ones gaped to .9mm, replace the air filter, fuel filter, change the oil and oil filter, get some Air mass meter cleaner to clean the air mass meter with, Get the old gas used up and put some new gas in it and add some Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner to the tank

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks I get paid Friday so I will pick up new plugs. I work at a parts store so I can get them at discount which is always nice and a start from there. I think we have a can of CRC map/maf cleaner around some where if not I guess will be buying that one to.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
I work at a parts store .... I think we have a can of CRC map/maf cleaner around some where if not I guess will be buying that one to.
Avoid adding every miracle-in-a-can that claims to clean, lubricate, stabilize, decarbonize, restore, optimize, or enhance something, based solely on the claims on the can.
Specifically, don't spray stuff in the Air Mass Meter (MAF) unless you know it's already malfunctioning.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The key with SAABs is not the MAF which is self cleaning or, depending on model year, nowhere near any air intake contamination, but the throttle plate which on early cars requires constant cleaning with FI throttle plate cleaner.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 91' 9000T 5 speed and I average between 300-335 miles to the tank. I drive equal highway and city and am not easy on the boost. I gained a few mpg after I installed a mitsu TD04hl-15T turbo, k&n filter/holes drilled in airbox and 3'' turbo back exhaust. I also run the swedish dynamics apc and fuel eproms. I would change plugs, airfilter, check tire pressures, and make sure the A/C compressor isn't running all time by hitting econ on the climate control.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I just did a better test than my first post up top.
I filled the tank with same fuel I always get, 98 Octane BP Ultimate, reset ALL displays as I drove away from the service station early morning for a long 100+km highway trip.

I averaged 9ltr per 100km to start with
Over a short time that climbed to 9.2Ltr per 100km but stayed
On my way back late at night I stepped on it a bit on the open road in place, and it got to 9.5ltr per 100km
Today I did some city driving and my average has jumped to 10ltr per 100km, and will probably continue to rise.

Something to note though, I have performance mods. 3" intake with big open air filter, 3" Full JT Exhaust, Forge Recirc BOV and Wastegate, and the biggest consideration in fuel use, Swedish Dynamic REC ECU's, both Fuel and APC ecu.

My fuel economy has gotten a fair bit better since I replaced my radiator, the old one had a bit crack in it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I just did a better test than my first post up top.
I filled the tank with same fuel I always get, 98 Octane BP Ultimate, reset ALL displays as I drove away from the service station early morning for a long 100+km highway trip.

I averaged 9ltr per 100km to start with
Over a short time that climbed to 9.2Ltr per 100km but stayed
On my way back late at night I stepped on it a bit on the open road in place, and it got to 9.5ltr per 100km
Today I did some city driving and my average has jumped to 10ltr per 100km, and will probably continue to rise.

Something to note though, I have performance mods. 3" intake with big open air filter, 3" Full JT Exhaust, Forge Recirc BOV and Wastegate, and the biggest consideration in fuel use, Swedish Dynamic REC ECU's, both Fuel and APC ecu.

My fuel economy has gotten a fair bit better since I replaced my radiator, the old one had a bit crack in it.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
We can't get 98 RON gas in most places in North America. This would be 94 PON (MON+RON / 2 = PON). 91 PON is the most common with 92 being available at lower elevations. This is equivalent to your "regular" 95 RON stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ugh usually the best to get around my neck of the woods is 90 octane I am tempted to look into converting her to run e 85 since this is the ethanol capital of the world or so it would seem. I changed the plugs and I have readjusted the air pressure I even cleaned out the air filter on the cold air intake and I am still at 18.9 miles per gallon on the display but my math shows me at just about 19.3 mpg. I am also trying to figure out if the differential bearings whining since they are going to pot would decrease mpg to a degree of any significance.

I am really tempted to figure out a way to hack the computer and see if I can create a stand alone fuel management system that interfaces that would allow me to have a better grip on the control of my fuel burn. But alas I have the talent but not the capital to play like this. Damn being thirty back in college and dirt broke.

Oh on a side not I figured out what pink to paint her metallic rose pink with a pearl top coat.

·
Registered
760 Posts
We can't get 98 RON gas in most places in North America. This would be 94 PON (MON+RON / 2 = PON). 91 PON is the most common with 92 being available at lower elevations. This is equivalent to your "regular" 95 RON stuff.
I don't even know what MON is? :roll:

91 is Standard here
95 is Premium
98 is High Octane and is only available (but common) from BP. (Although the price of it might sky rocket after BP caused that massive spill in some ocean this week)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts