SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 9-5 Aero with 25,650 miles -

When I first got the car in Colorado, even with their highest octane of 91, I was averaging 27-28mpg all around between highway and city driving. Moved to CT and averaged about 34mpg on the highway across country and 26-27mpg for the following 6000 miles until the engine was rebuilt due to oil consumption. After the rebuild, I was getting around 23-24mpg and it's been going down to 20-21mpg. Just had an oil change at 25k miles and mentioned my milage to the service writer. Tech reset something (guess ECU) and cleared SID. After about 650 miles, I'm now getting about 12-13mpg on mainly highway commutes about 50-60 miles each way.

Car had new plugs put in with DIC at 14k miles, other than that, just seems to be a little slower since they reset the ECU (haven't done the boost adaptation yet). Otherwise, driving style hasn't changed, no traffic...etc. Have used Techron, tires are at 37psi front and 36psi rear.

These milage numbers are true at the pump too...not just SID's info. 220 miles for 17 gallons...Shell 93 octane.

Any ideas on what I can check out before I make an appointment?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tony m said:
Bad O2 sensor?
Will mention this possibility to the dealer since all they ever do is just scan for error codes...thanks!

Kermit said:
Excellent...thanks Kermit! I did mention MAF to the dealer at my last service along with the CPS since I've been having some startup issues...no problems there of course. :roll:

Guess I'll pull a plug or two and take a look at them...they only have 11k miles on them, so I'm thinking that may not be the problem.

I've actually been very easy on the car and drive very moderately since I usually have another passenger for work, so I don't think it's my driving habits. Heck...maybe I should just go back to more 'spirited' driving...seems like it's better on the wallet at the fuel pump anyway :cheesy:

Either way, I'll report what I find...thanks again.

G

·
First thing first. Before you rush off and start looking at Maf's, maps, dots, O2's or anything else, as you say try a nice new set of plugs. Oldest thing in the book, mileage goes down try the plugs ;) I believe you have done 11k+ on the set you have, probabaly about time for a change :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finn said:
First thing first. Before you rush off and start looking at Maf's, maps, dots, O2's or anything else, as you say try a nice new set of plugs. Oldest thing in the book, mileage goes down try the plugs ;) I believe you have done 11k+ on the set you have, probabaly about time for a change :D
Thanks Finn...
I just did pull a plug and it still looks brand new for the most part. No deposits, carbon, wear...etc. Just realized my friend still has my gap gauge from 3 years ago...sooooooo I can't tell if that's the problem, although she's running pretty smoothly.

I guess I'll just bring it to the dealer being under warranty and all. Down to 12.4 mpg on the SID now though. Guess the worse it gets, the better case I have at the dealer :lol:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finn said:
That really is the pits on mileage, you dont have a small petrol leak somewhere ? :confused:
That's what I first thought...although I don't smell anything, see anything, hear anything. Checked all hoses and they all seem to be intact also. Like I said, it's been going downhill since the engine was rebuilt, but I'm not sure what could've been done at that point to affect this. I thought if anything, I'd see worse milage right before the rebuild. :confused:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh well...just as suspected...

"No codes found, don't know what to say"

Guess I just suck at driving :roll:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thats grim :cry:

Did it go back to the guys who rebuilt it? :confused:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Thats grim :cry:

Did it go back to the guys who rebuilt it? :confused:
Yup...same dealership. Said it would be throwing codes or CEL if there was actually anything wrong. Otherwise, they said it couldn't be running anymore perfect.

Now the kicker is...I brought it there a few months ago for service and one thing I commented on is my emergency brake not holding. Service ticket says "cleaned and lubed". That's fine, but they never pulled the brake to see if it worked...which it didn't. I ended up tightening the cable a few turns and all seemed fine except for last night when I was parked in my friend's driveway pointed uphill. Car was in reverse (manual), parking brake up and I went inside. Three hours later I came out and the car was about 50+ feet down the driveway, rear passenger side was up on a stone wall....my new Nokian Z shredded, alloy chopped up, rear bumper and skirt ripped apart...etc...very ugly sight.

I'm not a happy camper right now :cry:

·
Registered
87 Posts
%$^#^$%&!! Man, I feel for you. I would try to get them the shop to pay for the repair or at part at least. Seems like they botched something on the rebuild as well from your gas mileage problem. Sue them if they don't seem cooperative. Or better yet, get your insurance company to pay for the repair and sic em on the repair shop.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mjlee said:
%$^#^$%&!! Man, I feel for you. I would try to get them the shop to pay for the repair or at part at least. Seems like they botched something on the rebuild as well from your gas mileage problem. Sue them if they don't seem cooperative. Or better yet, get your insurance company to pay for the repair and sic em on the repair shop.
Well it does suck that this happened. But I'm not out to "get" anyone over this. I just wish it didn't happen altogether. They're going to see what they can do as far as repairs...but, I wasn't expecting to have to buy a 5th tire right away. I snapped everything back together, but it still doesn't look all that great. Maybe for now, I'll just spray some black paint on it to make it easier on the eyes.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Ah man, i feel for you i really do. Did the car roll backwards whilst locked in reverse? I'm trying to figure out what happened. :roll:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kermit said:
Ah man, i feel for you i really do. Did the car roll backwards whilst locked in reverse? I'm trying to figure out what happened. :roll:
Yup...in reverse with the parking brake up. After I brought it in this time, they acknowledged a problem with the brake and disassembled and reset it. It's tight as can be now. :roll:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If the parking brake was recently done, then surely you can insist on them providing the necessary parts to make an effective repair. They failed to fix the parking brake correctly and this damage occured as a result of their incompetance. It's only gonna cost them parts after all, i'd have a word with the manager/owner to see what could be done.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kermit said:
If the parking brake was recently done, then surely you can insist on them providing the necessary parts to make an effective repair. They failed to fix the parking brake correctly and this damage occured as a result of their incompetance. It's only gonna cost them parts after all, i'd have a word with the manager/owner to see what could be done.
Oh I totally hear what you're saying. I spoke with them yesterday when I was there. They're just going to see what they can do I guess. At least everything is documented for a stronger case on my part. The original service papers that say "Customer says parking brake doesn't hold" Tech reply was: "Cleaned and lubed parking brake calipers."

The paperwork from yesterday says everything about it being reset and fitted. Plus I have emails with the service manager from when I first brought it in and said it still doesn't hold. Hopefully something good comes of this!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
cryptical said:
Hopefully something good comes of this!
I'm gutted for you, I hope they do the right thing :confused:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thats terrible! And the cars only 2 years old too!

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
cryptical said:
The paperwork from yesterday says everything about it being reset and fitted. Plus I have emails with the service manager from when I first brought it in and said it still doesn't hold. Hopefully something good comes of this!
If you have all the documentation to back you up, I would call SAAB USA's customer service and complain.

They are not always the best, but every now and then they come through for you.

edit:

Oh and if the dealer doesnt offer to help you well enough, let them know you are planning on calling SAAB customer service about it. GM can be tough on dealers with their rating scheme, and most dealers don't wan't something negative like that on their ratings.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts