SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my '06 903 Aero from the dealer yesterday the gas guage read almost empty with the low fuel light lit; it showed about 1/4 tank when I dropped it off and since only 3 miles were put on it I cannot explain why it happened. I filled it up afterwards and it only registered just over 3/4 but in the past it always showed totally full - anyone know what may be up (or down)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dad had the same problem with his 2003, he brought it to the dealer and they replaced the fuel pump under warranty.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting...sounds like a big fix for a small problem. If I decide to leave it alone for a while (my dealer is not too close), would I experience any other problems?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Fuel sender is integrated into the pump, it is a pretty big fix as they have to drop the tank from the car to do so.

Nothing else will happen but your guage will show strange readings or no readings. You have a warranty to get it done in, do so as OOW it will cost you $$$

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, that's what I kinda thought. I still have 3+ years of warranty left so no rush getting it fixed now but if the guage starts acting real weird I will take it in and if not, I'll have them address it on my next service.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It seems like this problem is very common, and it does seem like a lot of labor for a not so significant problem. So the question is, of all the people that have had the sender replaced, how many had the issue arise again? I had mine replaced in April under warranty and now I'm off warranty. Are we all looking forward to faulty gas gauges or is the fix bulletproof?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems to me that unless the replacement fuel pump has a different sender unit the problem will most likely appear again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news then is that just the sender gets replaced (vice the whole fuel pump) but the bad news is it will most likely happen again...must be more cost efficient to do that than design or procure a better sender (?)

·
Registered
54 Posts
that's bad news indeed. Yes, the sender unit isn't expensive, but the half day of labor the dealer is gonna charge you will suck. Saab should really find a preventative solution, for their own warranty costs sake. If the solution does become chronic and repetitive, what's the chance of a class action suit?? Any lawyers out there?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I as well as other 2003 owners have had this done, so far, to the best of my knowledge we've heard no reports of repeats. I'm fairly positive my dealer replaced the whole unit.

This showing up on a new model seems unusual, in the past it seemed like it was just the 03 early 04 cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts