SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gas gauge drops quickly to E and the SID goes blank. This intermitent problem has occured twice within the last 14 days while driving. In both instances the tank had been filled within 25 miles. Issue then disappears as quickly as it appears. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Saabhob said:
The gas gauge drops quickly to E and the SID goes blank. This intermitent problem has occured twice within the last 14 days while driving. In both instances the tank had been filled within 25 miles. Issue then disappears as quickly as it appears. Any thoughts?
Crazy thought, but it sounds a lot like if the "Night Panel" button gets pressed. Id check the connection inside the button itself. I knwo it's too simple, but you never know. ;)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Good thinking there about the NIGHT PANEL but surely the tacho, temp gauge would zero as well. I'd suspect the fuel pump sender unit is playing up, the gauge drops to zero because the sender unit stops working briefly, the SID then zero's because its getting no message about fuel consumption. Unfortunately the sender unit is integral with the pump, so if it is this you have to buy the whole unit.:( Unless there is a fuelling problem as a result of this, i'd be tempted to just leave it if it only lasts for a short duration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys, I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the light that illuminates the buttons on the right side of the panel ("+" and "Night Panel" has been out for some time. Maybe its just coincidence since the car now has 70,000 miles and things start to go at that age. Anyway, it certainly makes sense that the issue could be the pump/sender unit and I'll bet that item isn't cheap! I am tempted to leave it because it only happens for a few minutes while driving. FYI: I am a first time user of this forum and find it friendly and helpful. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Saabhob said:
Hi Guys, I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the light that illuminates the buttons on the right side of the panel ("+" and "Night Panel" has been out for some time. Maybe its just coincidence since the car now has 70,000 miles and things start to go at that age. Anyway, it certainly makes sense that the issue could be the pump/sender unit and I'll bet that item isn't cheap! I am tempted to leave it because it only happens for a few minutes while driving. FYI: I am a first time user of this forum and find it friendly and helpful. Thanks for the response.
Yeah, my "-" sign is out too. is there any way i can fix that?

~Mike

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I read some stuff about a baffle in the fuel tank that can interfere with the fuel level sensor, however that doesnt explain the SID, as you say wait for it to become persistent and take it to a dealer or indy ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wasn't there a rash of crazy fuel gauge behavior over the last year? Mine has done that in the past too. I think certain gasoline mixes are doing it but what do I know.

Mine's been fine for about six months now but it always did it right after a fill up. I now set the trip odometer when I refill just in case.

Oh yeah - mine is a 88K 1999 Saab 95 V6

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting that you should say that pmonfre. I tend to use the same gas because I use a credit card. Strange how this issue began a couple days after filling up on the Ohio turnpike using a different gas company. BTW the issue seems to be permanent. I will use the odometer reset for the near future hoping this problem will go away. Thanks for your posts guys.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
I read some stuff about a baffle in the fuel tank that can interfere with the fuel level sensor, however that doesnt explain the SID, as you say wait for it to become persistent and take it to a dealer or indy ;)

I have sinds 1.5 j. problems with my fuel gauge starting in the morning gauge works normal atmoshere rel. cool and than in midday wen temp. is raising to 19-20 degree C gauge shows empty, in the night wen temp. is cool the gauge works OK. No further SID problems

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have noticed that within 25 miles after filling up the gas tank and in hot weather over 31 C (~90 F) this issue appears. Once I have driven 50 or so miles the gauge works normal until the tank is filled again.

AeroTom, what was the cost for replacement of the Pump Sender unit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts