SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i will be driving when all of a sudden the gas gague on my car will go to E, the light will pop on, then all of a sudden it will return to its normal level. Happened to me a good 10 times yesterday. Fuel seems to be traveling to the engine normally, and there is plenty of gas in it. Filled it 2 days ago.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
This is a well known and documented issue on 03's, the fuel sender is failing, it is also integral to the Fuel Pump Assembly which includes the Filter. In order to change the Unit the tank must be dropped.

Search : fuel Sender

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh great, a $300 fix...

Thanks for the info JonV.
Is this a critical part to fix, or is it just for my own knowledge that tells me i have gas?
Am i going to stop getting fuel to the engine soon?
Has anyone done this fix?
How difficult is it to drop the tank with just a jack?

It going to be hard to come by $300 at christmas time :(

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
you can easily get along without a guage for a while just using even the odometer or a bit of Noggin power. Unless your like a guy here that ran out three times before figuring out his guage was broken.:roll:

I believe its about a 2/2.5 hour job, but you obviously have to drain the tank, I don't think a Jack is enough. Try a local Mechanic the rates are a lot lower than a dealers shop.

The part is 330.00 at the saabsite, you might try finding a remaned there too (email TW), or at a parts store or used at www.goldwingsaab.com

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
This fuel sensor malfunction will not affect gasoline travelling to your engine. I have this problem show up on a 1000+km journey....not comforting, but since I reset the trip odometer on every gas fill up, I had a good idea on
when to refuel the car and always aired on the side of caution. The gas gauge showed empty when I filled it up and then went to its normal level at usually half a tank, if I would have turned off the engine within that timeframe.

Paul

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bummer, at least i can live with it for now...

I thought i read somewhere that you can get just the sensor, or do i have to get the whole fuel pump assembly?

Since I haven't had this car for very long, how many miles can i get before i need to refuel per tank? 300? 250 max?

I have a 13 hour drive home coming up, and i was planning on taking the saab, but now i don't know if i want to do that...

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Be modest in your mileage assumptions...use the SID too, DTE is pretty accurate. Easily 250-300 on the highway, or just stop every 4-5 hours on a highway road trip and top off. You should have no problems.

Lets say for the sake of conversation you get 20mpg (we get way more on the Highway) ...16 gal tank = 320 miles.

I think you have to get the whole assembly, but someone else may be more knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks JonV, I'll assume its OK to drive onmy car untill after the holidays.

This forum is a great help!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
On the highway, I was filling up at approximately every 500km, which should be equivalent to your 300miles, or so....

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts