SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1998 900S turbo (89k) that we like very much. It does, however, have a persistent gas fumes problem that the local independent SAAB repair shop has been unable to correct. They have checked all the accessable fuel lines and connections, and filter and replaced the gas cap with an OEM one. This problem sets off the "check engine" light which will come back on within 1 week of being reset. The smell is the strongest after the tank has been refilled and seems to be coming from the rear of the car. They are going to look at it again this Friday. I noticed on another web site that on earlier 99s and 900s, the grommets that are on the fuel lines on the top of the gas tank break down and start to leak vapors. The tank will have to be dropped to check this. Does anyone have any other idea as to what might be causing this problem? (This repair shop hasn't come across this before.)
Thanks. Bob

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
The filler neck passes through the right side of the trunk, so perhaps that's cracked or has a bad gasket or something. If you pull the carpet aside you should be able to get a good look without taking the tank out.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
JMarkert said:
The filler neck passes through the right side of the trunk, so perhaps that's cracked or has a bad gasket or something.
I definitely think something has opened up here, resulting in leaking gas fumes. Any signs that fuel might even be leaking out too? First 1/4 of the full tank go fast, etc.? Something being cracked and allowing pressure to escape would explain the CEL coming on. Definitely pull the carpet in the trunk and examine the filler/vent pipes as best you can.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
nhtrophy said:
Thanks, I'll look at this tonight. I don't think there's a leak since I'm still getting 30+ mpg.
Wise for a man to record his fuel economy; but even with 30 you can have a condition where some gas drops are forced out and you will smell them !
If the filler neck assembly is suspect, you may be able to remove this w/o dropping the tank.
A real garage, with abilities to service any car, will pressurize the fuel system, and, using soapy water, discover the leak.
The grommet condition is very important throughout the car.
The other system to check is the evaporative fuel vapor with its check valves and charcoal canister - very complex, usually not troublesome.
Probably nothing was wrong with the gas cap; these should however use a replaceable seal and probably do not !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts