SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken car into garage to get lightweight flywheel fitted, unfortunately the day before coolant warning level light came up, now I am faced with the head gasket blown.:cry:

The big question is;
Is it worth getting it gas flowed?

As the head has to be stripped and skimmed it seems to be sensible to get it done at the same time,:cheesy: however what are the benefits?
i.e. does anyone here already have it done and what difference does it make?

Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would say there is no harm doing so, in fact may as well while the head is off. A mate with a Golf (completely different engine i know) had it done and he said it was driving better:D

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well Abbott say this:

Production Cylinder-heads can be improved to increase air flow, by carefully machining and polishing the rough-cast inlet and exhaust ports. Valve seats can be blended into the head castings, removing sharp edges which disturb air flow. This precise art is labour intensive and requires much skill and experience.

Abbott Racing heads are designed to maintain air speed, while mass air flow is increased to ensure compatibility with normally aspirated engines as well as turbocharged units. You can specify increased valve sizes dependant upon model year to further increase power. Modified Cylinder heads work best above 4000 RPM but do not damage the driveability at lower RPM.

Compression ratio increases can be achieved by machining the face of the cylinder head within manufacturing tolerances, this improves engine response and combustion efficiency. When used in conjunction with our engine management system changes, the gas-flowed cylinder head can dramatically increase power and economy with total reliability.
And they say for just £880 plus vat you can get 10 bhp :p

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
"Modified Cylinder heads work best above 4000 RPM but do not damage the driveability at lower RPM"

That's a lie, anytime you increase the high rpm flow, you hurt the low rpm flow.

How much HP do you have? If you have less than 400 then this is not the upgrade you should be looking at.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Break out the dremmel :cheesy:

If Abbott do all that and get 10 bhp more I wouldnt bother cos someone with less experience would either get less of an increase or somehow make things worse :confused:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that's anything like my filing I think I'll give it a miss:lol:

Seriously, has anyone on here had it done?
I had it done on my Alfasud years ago(180bhp from 1.5l without a turbo),
but want some practical experience from someone who has had it done to a 9-5.

As the car is already well over 300bhp what extra difference will I find?
Is it mainly in high revs that the difference is felt?
As the head clearance is minimised as well how will that affect the performace?

Will my wife divorce me over another expense on the car?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I've read that the benefits are greater on a non turbo car :confused:

The fact that no one (none I can think of) has bothered with this should give you the answer :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I don't intend to go to Monster proportions yet (maybe in a few years) I might be better off saving my money then?:lol:
Was a thought whilst head was off:confused:
Also found out that I have gone through an Aero clutch in under 20k.
Will probably be better to spend money on uprated clutch (perchance milords):lol:

With lightweight flywheel will probably notice difference anyway.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
If the box is coming out for the flywheel then yes why not spend the cash on the clutch ;)

Hey this would add 25bhp and its "buy on get one free", so thats an extra 50bhp for a tenner :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25BHP-Power-Mod-Chip-SAAB-9000-9-3-900-vector-9-5-etc_W0QQitemZ150175481985QQihZ005QQcategoryZ32094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Q. Will this fit on my particular SAAB model?

A. If your SAAB is equipped with electronic fuel injection, it will. 99% of cars manufactured after in or after 1988 are equipped with a fuel injection. It will however not work on turbocharged vehicles.
Oh damn, its for the "non turbo" 9-5 :roll:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back to previous post, which clutch without ending up with a weightlifters leg on the left side?:cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
afm said:
Back to previous post, which clutch without ending up with a weightlifters leg on the left side?:cheesy:
I am hearing great things about SPEC clutches, the one in our track car was so good it helped break the gearbox :eek:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
You went through an Aero clutch in 20k?
:eek:
How much torque you running?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
You went through an Aero clutch in 20k?
:eek:
How much torque you running?
..yes how much torque? I am running 330 ft/lbs and qucikly went through an lpt clutch that ahd 100K miles on it. Now I have an aero and Nick T told me not to waste my money on SPEC that the Aero can handle his 330WHP 380WTQ ( ft/bls) viggen just fine.

I have had it on for 15K miles and it is still fine....

BTW the SPEC is quite 'grabby' so city driving parallel parking might be a pain...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I did a DIY job when my engine was apart.

A bit grinding & Polished - 8 Hours it looked like this -

Not sure if that was my 9-5 head or my bros 900 head.

After it felt better before the turbo (abbott 280bhp) came in, bit more responsive. but it could have all been in the mind:confused:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
I've read that the benefits are greater on a non turbo car :confused:

The fact that no one (none I can think of) has bothered with this should give you the answer :p
Where did you read that.........The Beano Guide to Tuning?

Gas flowing a cylinder will give you the same percentage gains on either engine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Running around 450nM-330lb/ft, flywheel had some glazing on it which has contributed to early wear of clutch.

Cost of getting head gas flowed doesn't seem worth it though:confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
sonett1 said:
Where did you read that.........The Beano Guide to Tuning?
It was in one of your old Bunty comics I think :confused:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
It was in one of your old Bunty comics I think :confused:
Or maybe it was Jackie, i'll have to check, it shouldn't take too long i have them catalogued.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts