SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing a letter about the gas cap not sealing correctly on my 2003 9-3. The dealer I used to go to (sold the franchise back to GM) said they replaced it when I took the letter and the car with the idiot light lit up. The new dealer I'm going to says "no, it's an original gas cap and it'll cost you $40 to replace it".

Anyone have info that can help me?

TIA,
Chris

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
If a Dealer replaced it under warranty it will be in your service records which are availavle to any Service Dept. Now the original Caps are warranteed for 10 years from the in-Service date. If you have had it replaced it is not the original cap and may not be covered if you are OOW.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
It's a recall item... I am having mine done this week for free at 60K miles, there is no way you should be charged for it. My dealer tried to say they needed the check engine light on to do it under warranty but I told them they can check previous codes (for free) and fix the problem... I then mentioned the letter from saab said to get it replaced, not to wait till it was a problem (check engine light) and then come get it replaced.

I am sure someone might have the letter still, mine was trashed about a year ago I think.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
chrismack said:
Anyone have info that can help me?
Everyone else is right about the recall. The cap should be covered.

There's an excellent chance you can fix your old cap. Smear some silicone grease on the sealing gasket. Mine sealed just fine for months this way. The dealer threw in a new cap when I told him about the problem. No hassle. I smeared some grease on that one eventually before it acted up.

This is a pretty standard procedure for preserving or revitalizing rubber sealing gaskets. Commonly used on pool equipment, scuba gear, and faucet o-rings.

The key is never to use petroleum based grease (e.g. Vaseline). That swells the rubber and makes things worse!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Want to hear a good "that sucks" story!?!?!

I had been taking my car to Paul Miller Saab in Edison NJ. Last Jan I had the car in for a replacement key fob, I think an oil change or some other stupid little service (tire rotation maybe?), and a CEL. They scanned the car, cleared the code (gas cap issue) and SAID they replaced the gas cap. Here in NJ, you can't pump your own gas, so it took me a few weeks to realize that they HAD NOT replaced the gas cap. It was clearly the original. It was quite dirty and it did not have the tether on it. I cut the tether off so that the stupid gas pump attendants don't simply drop the cap and let it bang/swing against the paint. I didn't think much of it, figured I'd address it later.

I got a letter in the mail saying Paul Miller was selling their franchise back to GM. So now I'm going to a dealer in Cherry Hill NJ. Fast forward to this mornings events, I call Saab Customer Service to verify the recall so I have some ammunition when I go pick the car up. Saab Customer Service says the letter they sent out is not a recall, and is only good when replacing the original gas cap. In the records for my VIN, they see that the gas cap was replaced, and that I'll have to pay for this gas cap.

So now I'm about to go pick up my car from the Cherry Hill dealer, pay the $40, and say goodbye to Saab and the B.S. dealers they franchise to. I will never use a Saab dealership again, and when I eventually sell this 9-3, I will most likely never purchase another Saab. This is the 3rd dealership I've used since purchasing this car in Jan of 2003. The 1st dealership in Princeton closed (thankfully, they were a nightmare to deal with). The 2nd one in Edison closed and is now sells for some other manufacturer. This 3rd one is off to a great start. I had the car in for Major Service 2 weeks ago and a service light. They said the CEL light at that point was due to a leak in the evap system, but it wasn't the gas cap. After my first fill up, bingo... theres the light. So I take it back to them, now its the gas cap and another $40.

I'm a gearhead and more than capable of servicing this car at home, with two young children I've found it easier to use the dealers. Now I just need to find a local mechanic that can scan for codes and the time to get the work done myself... :(

This is definitely not about money, it's about the principle.

Chris

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yep.... that sucks!

It's too bad that we live in a world where there are people that will just steal from you in the name of "business". Has everybody else noticed how bad customer service has gotten? When you find a business that does the right thing all of the time, they're swamped. You think that this would be the norm. Too bad there are lazy people taking the short cut. But the short cut will ALWAYS lead to a ruined business. We've all seen it and will continue to see it. A lesson for all of us in business.

BUT, that being said, there are those that do the right thing and have a reputation that speaks volumes. Find these people. There are Saab dealers who are fair too (I trust), you just have to find them.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
chrismack said:
Snip....Saab Customer Service says the letter they sent out is not a recall, and is only good when replacing the original gas cap. In the records for my VIN, they see that the gas cap was replaced, and that I'll have to pay for this gas cap....Snip

Chris
That sums it up, too many people have given Service Campaigns the false label of "Recall". The original letter did state the cap would be warranteed for 10 years from the in service date and replaced when it failed. Not On Demand.

So if you've had your original cap replaced and you are OOW, your out of luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JonV said:
That sums it up, too many people have given Service Campaigns the false label of "Recall". The original letter did state the cap would be warranteed for 10 years from the in service date and replaced when it failed. Not On Demand.

So if you've had your original cap replaced and you are OOW, your out of luck.
Reread my post... THE WHOLE POST... very slowly and very carefully. I can rewrite it in single syllables if that's what you need. Just let me know if you realize your mistake or if I should spell it out for you.

Chris

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
OK Smartguy, to begin with, I did read your whole post. You got ripped off....so you didn't look at your "New" gas cap when they installed it? When you get gas and the guy says 30.00 Dollars, do you just hand him thirty Dollars and not check the pump? Sounds like a lack of attention on your part. And if the attitude you project in your last post is what you give to your service people I don't think they'll be doing you any favors.

My post was referring specifically to the fact that the gas cap issue is not a recall and the terms of the Service Campaign which were stated, nothing more.

Hopefully you'll find what you consider a reliable shop for the remainder of your Saab time.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Re. the NJ/NY dealers the Saab 9-3 product manager was saying at the Aero Acadamy in July that the NJ/NY area has some really good dealers:roll:
I guess you all haven't found them yet.

Us Chicago people must be lucky with all the good dealers. Last summer I was telling the parts mgr. I had just replaced mine before the service campaign and he said "here's a spare one" and threw me a brand new one to keep if the current one goes bad.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
My Northern NJ Dealer is Aces, Always a Loaner, Free Tech II's if I'm in for Service, replaced worn Badges at no Charge, even replaced the grill Trim for free when it was ripped off by Vandals. Reinertsen Saab, Denville, NJ

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JonV said:
OK Smartguy, to begin with, I did read your whole post. You got ripped off....so you didn't look at your "New" gas cap when they installed it? When you get gas and the guy says 30.00 Dollars, do you just hand him thirty Dollars and not check the pump? Sounds like a lack of attention on your part. And if the attitude you project in your last post is what you give to your service people I don't think they'll be doing you any favors.

My post was referring specifically to the fact that the gas cap issue is not a recall and the terms of the Service Campaign which were stated, nothing more.

Hopefully you'll find what you consider a reliable shop for the remainder of your Saab time.
Actually, call up Cherry Hill Classic Cars and ask for Lou in the Saab Service Dept. Ask him how I treated him, I'm sure he'll tell you I was excessively kind. I know none of this was his fault or problem, so I never once let him know I was upset about the situation. He's just doing his job, so the way I greeted him this morning with a "Hello Sir" was the same way I left him this afternoon "Thank You very much Lou!". My frustration is with the previous dealer that I felt I had a great relationship with, as well as with Saab Customer Service that is just useless.

My tone to your reply was because I simply never have, and never will understand why people troll forums like these to just add crap. Is it to try and increase your post count?

Your 2nd post was perfect. It added value and was on topic. Suggesting a NJ dealer to work with is a great idea. Clipping a sentence *out of context*, and posting a negative off-topic sentence or two makes no sense to me. Your reply to to my rims question was a great one too. So I really don't understand your 1st reply in this thread, it just seems like a huge waste of time.

Also, I hand my credit card over and tell them to fill it up. The receipt has the amount pumped and the amount charged. Weights and Measures registers, certifies, and seals every pump in the state of NJ, and the fines for skimming are HUGE. Your uncle or father may tell a nice story about how he rebuilt his 427 on the money he made from filling up oil with an empty can or charging an extra buck here and there, but I garauntee that doesn't happen anymore. Today's scam is posting the cash price on the towers, then in fine print posting the credit card price (generally 6 or 7 cents a gallon more) on the pump. It's legal in every sense, but not very ethical IMHO.

Can you tell me what portion of the labels is stamped out of the Weights and Measures seals on EVERY PUMP mean? I can... how's that for attention to detail on my part?

It doesn't hurt that I generally use the same 2 or 3 stations, and I expense my gas so I am somewhat liesurely with fill ups.

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JonV said:
My Northern NJ Dealer is Aces, Always a Loaner, Free Tech II's if I'm in for Service, replaced worn Badges at no Charge, even replaced the grill Trim for free when it was ripped off by Vandals. Reinertsen Saab, Denville, NJ
A very good friend of mine owns a 9-3 and I think he uses the same dealership. He was just telling me that he complained about how the buttons on the radio were wearing and they replaced the whole thing for him.

I'm down in Burlington County now, I love it down here and wouldn't trade it for the world... but this makes me wish I still lived and worked up in the Parsippany area a little bit.

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cosmicflash said:
Re. the NJ/NY dealers the Saab 9-3 product manager was saying at the Aero Acadamy in July that the NJ/NY area has some really good dealers:roll:
I guess you all haven't found them yet.

Us Chicago people must be lucky with all the good dealers. Last summer I was telling the parts mgr. I had just replaced mine before the service campaign and he said "here's a spare one" and threw me a brand new one to keep if the current one goes bad.
I wouldn't expect a Saab Product Manager to bash a region's dealerships... would you?

I know there are good dealers out there, JonV mentioned one that I think my buddy uses. Unfortunately it's too far for me. I've had multiple negative experiences at THREE different NJ Saab dealers. This time around I feel like I got duped because the car was JUST in for service with a CEL on. 2 weeks later, eerily similar situation, it's just a different part. Hmmm... Now onto Saab Customer Service... no help there, just a big F YOU! It's a lot of circumstances, in reality is just several small issues building up to one big one.

Bottom line, that new C Series Benz is looking better and better. Come to think of it so is the new CTS. There are too many options in the mini-luxury car market now for me to deal with this anymore.

The real rub is that I had that kind of relationship with the parts manager at the last dealership I used. I do a lot of the work myself, so I used to just swing by on my way home to pick a few things up and we'd shoot the poop. He was always giving me coupons etc. After I realized the cap was not new, I felt like I'd be able to just swing by and show it to him and he'd toss me a new one. Maybe he'd do something nice like throw in a mug or a hat for my trouble... who knows now that they've gone out of business. In the end, it seems like a scheme. They clear the code, and since it's not a recall they can get you next time for the $60 ($40 for the part, $19 for the labor, and $5 for the disposal fee). Yes those prices are off my invoice for today's nonsense.

Chris

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
"I wouldn't expect a Saab Product Manager to bash a region's dealerships... would you?"

Well no I wouldn't but he actually did. He stated that a weak point with Saab, as with many other makes, are their dealers. He wished it was not such an issue but it is. We started to discuss some markets, one being Chicago which is one of the best, and some dealers in the NJ/NY area but I don't remember the names. We discussed smaller markets that might have only 1 half *ssed dealer that makes people wait 2-3 weeks like in OH.

He also pretty much agreed with me that in his own back yard (MI) that there are only 2 dealers in the entire metro Detroit area (however they just opened a 3rd I guess) which is rather pathetic.

It was fun talking to him but the poor guy certainly got bombarded with questions and complaints (plenty from me:p)

·
Banned
631 Posts
Gas caps are warrantied since 2003. If your vehicle is 03 - newer your gas cap will be a warranty item from the dealer, reason why i know?
Because i called the dealer they said that gas caps were warrantied from 03 till current date. the code i was getting is

P0455 Large Evap leak detected.

Gas cap was faulty they replaced it no charge

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:
Gas caps are warrantied since 2003. If your vehicle is 03 - newer your gas cap will be a warranty item from the dealer, reason why i know?
Because i called the dealer they said that gas caps were warrantied from 03 till current date. the code i was getting is

P0455 Large Evap leak detected.

Gas cap was faulty they replaced it no charge
I think you need to read JonV's post (#7)...:roll:

Original caps will be replaced under warranty when they fail (in the US - we have no such luck here in the UK!) but the service campaign does not include replacing the cap again FOC if the replacement fails.

Although the OP didn't have the cap replaced, his service records state that it was, and so he does not qualify for a "second" replacement...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts