SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use Garmin Streetpilot 26xx series? If yes, where do you mount it?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I use a 2610, but not in my Saab, as that has built-in SatNav.

The 2610 is used and mounted in an XC90. I'm not sure where I would put the 2610/20 in the Saab. For starters, the power supplies are hidden away in the ashtray and armrest. I guess the armrest power supply is a no-no as that would obscure the speaker. The ashtray has to be the source - or you could get an extension lead for your lighter socket - easily available from eBay etc.

As to the mounting of the actual unit - forget the bean bag - use the temporary sticker and mount. The further forward you can get the unit, whilst still being in arms reach the better as it will have a better 'view' of the satellites. In the XC90 there is plenty of relatively 'flat' space to mount it, so it sits pretty centrally within reach of both front seats.

If I were to fit it in the Saab, I think I'd go for a power extension lead and feed it between the trim and underneath the steering wheel to finish somewhere above the drivers footwell near to the drivers door. I would use cable ties and self adhesive velcro to hold it all in place. Plug the unit into that source and run the cable around the edge of the trim - mounting the unit itself on the drivers side edge of the dash - it should be possible to get a reasonably neat 'installation' like that with very little wire showing.

Regards,

Phil

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil, thanks for your thoughts!
I was looking for the powersource and ended up ordering this:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40145&highlight=garmin

to replace the ashtray with the shelf. This way you can plug in the speaker no problem. I am playing with positioning the unit so it does not block the SID...I 'll take some pics once I find the perfect spot :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts