SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my car in for a 30 day inspection and had the opportunity to install all my cables for the Garmin Nuvi 660 and my iPOD....and here are the results of about 1 hour of my labour. I had the help of one of my mechanic friends in getting the power leads soldered to the 12V power just behind the cubby hole.

Take a look at the pics:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes....it is Proclip. The '03-'06 model had two mounts available for the central vent. The '07 has only one mount as the vent area is slightly larger.

As for the iPOD Aux-in, yes....it is in the dash....and didn't want cables all over the place. It is fairly easy to find a right-angle adapter and one that was thin anough to be wedged between the radio and the frame...

I am happy with my work this afternoon. ;-)

Paul

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The iPOD goes to Aux-in, via a Ground Loop Isolator to clean out static. The Garmin is connected to the 12V power adapter behind the console plug.

The Garmin has nothing to do with the Aux-in.

Paul

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok, so I'm pretty dense with regards to the world of audio. I really like the installation of the iPod, but can you send me a link of what the ground insulator thing you installed is? Also, how did you run the wire to the aux in on the head unit? Did the aux in plug you bought come on the cable or did you have to modify(if so, where did you buy it?)? Sorry for all the questions, but I really like your pod setup!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Ground Loop Isolator (GLI) I purchased from what was Radioshack, now called The Source by Circuit city. Click here to get to the product page.

To answer your other questions:

Basically, what I did was purchased the Belkin Power Adapter, which comes with a mini-amp built into the cigarette lighter. I plugged that into the power source in the centre storage area and routed the wires through the area underneath the centre console, shifter location, in behind the dash area. Since the GLI comes with left/right audio jack, I had to get two Y-splitters one leading from the 3.5 mini-jack in the power adapter and another so I could lead the right-angle plug up that is wedged between the radio and the frame area. That audio cable is a standard audio-cable.

I could not really go with anything that is shielded since it would have been too thick. It did work out and before I screwed everything in, I tested the signal to ensure it is clean.

iPOD to Power Plug
------------------
iPOD --> Belkin Power Adapter --> Power Plug

Power Plug to aux-in
--------------------
3.5 mm cable (Y-splitter cable) --> GLI --> Y-splitter --> standard audio cable.

The iPOD holder is a Pro-clip mount. I used that in my previous car too and had a similar setup, but the aux-in adapter was actually centre-console.

I find this setup to be the cleanest possible given the aux-in plug is in the dash.

Paul

·
Registered
253 Posts
Are you still able to open the cupholder?

I have been unable to find any right-angle aux-in plug that is low enough profile such that the cupholder doesn't get stuck when the plug is in. :(

(I've tried 5 different plugs now)

Mike

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zim2dive said:
Are you still able to open the cupholder?

I have been unable to find any right-angle aux-in plug that is low enough profile such that the cupholder doesn't get stuck when the plug is in. :(

(I've tried 5 different plugs now)

Mike
If I let the cup holder out automatically, then yes, it does get stuck, however, it doesn't prevent me from opening the cup holder. I just have to manually pull it out a little put and I can open it fully. Closing, I have rotate the cylinder piece first before pushing it in. I realized after having come home, however, there is nothing much I can do....this is far better than having cables hanging out all over the place.

I don't use that cup holder too often, so it is not a big deal since my Starbucks mug doesn't fit in that holder.

On another note, it would have been much easier to have the adapter plug, where it was in the previous model years. Or, have a hidden jack in an alternate location. I think auto-manufacturers have to re-think this one by either:

1) allowing audio files be played from USB sticks.
2) have a clean iPOD/MP3 sync in the radio unit, thus allowing steering wheel controls.
I personally would allow the Saab logo to act as the iPOD conduit. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
quick question man.
I see that your cable that is running form your ipod to ur Aux in port, is running from the "BOTTOM" of your ipod? how's that possible, wouldnt' it have to run from the headphone jack? where did you get this cable/dock to have it run from underneath of Ipod? iam sure it would work for iphone too, cause mine looks really ugly now, having this cable running from the top of my iphone.
pls help.
THanks man

Huso

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am using the Belkin Car Adapter kit and using the power source from within the central console. It doesn't use the audio-jack from the top of the iPOD, but the iPOD Dock connector from the bottom. I simply just feed the dock cable through the central area and have a GLI inbetween.

I hope this answers your question right now. It should work for the iPHONE too if it uses the same style of dock connector at the bottom.

As for the mount, I just use the ones available from ProClipUSA and order the ones I want to use from there. :)

Paul

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
brunp said:
I hope this answers your question right now. It should work for the iPHONE too if it uses the same style of dock connector at the bottom.
iPhone uses the same dock. I was happy to find that my dock from my 3G iPod takes the iPhone. The iPhone tells you the part was designed pre iPhone and you may get interference unless you put the phone in flight mode (which i thought was a bit clever) but no interference either.

·
Registered
167 Posts
iam still confused.
Is it me or am i Not seeing something in that picture?
Are there TWO cables running from the bottom? or just ONe?
as you mentioned in earlier post, you have one running for power (center console) and then you would need another one to run to ur aux-in...now where is that cable that runs to aux in? is it black, and iam not seeing it in the pic? is it hiding behind the ipod?
iam confused man....

huso

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
shift_6spd said:
iam still confused.
Is it me or am i Not seeing something in that picture?
Are there TWO cables running from the bottom? or just ONe?
as you mentioned in earlier post, you have one running for power (center console) and then you would need another one to run to ur aux-in...now where is that cable that runs to aux in? is it black, and iam not seeing it in the pic? is it hiding behind the ipod?
iam confused man....

huso

One cable.....the cable runs to a cigarette power adapter that has a built in mini-amp and a 3.5m audio jack built in the cigarette adapter. I then have a audio cable that connects through a Ground Loop Isolator and into the jack on the front of the radio.

It is the "B E L K I N" car adapter kit that you have to use.http:// .com/zbpt7

Paul

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SMHarman said:
b-e-l-k-i-n

as it has an animal name in the middle that is a competitor of this site it gets corrupted.
Yes...the B-E-L-K-I-N iPOD Car adapter kit.

Just google it and you will know exactly how it works in my car. :)

Paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts