SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just sold an 1989 G reg8v (white with skirts whaletail etc to match)with 86000 mls on it, the purchaser is talking about putting a 16v turbo in it , but asks can he use the 8v box??,as he is not sure about the one he has with engine, although i appreciate there is a little difference between B201 & B202 engine, 8 to 16V, can/ do they use the same box as i do not think there is any difference except the 90-93yr box was made a bit stronger than the earlier one's. (7or 8 primaries at this stage is'nt an issue). thank you for replies, and am already telling him to get on sc for help, but as he bought my car i would give him a start:lol: as i'm not sure;oops:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Saab Central does not condone "mating with gearboxes" :nono;

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
as far as i know they'll swap fine, i think the only difference between the 8v and 16v engines is up top

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
yes they will mate fine. have just done it myself. if his 16v engine is off an autobox he will need to change the oil pickup pipe for one off a manual.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The only difference I've seen is that some earlier boxes had two extra bolt tabs on them that could potentially interfere with a 16valve's flywheel. But it could also depend on if he plans using the stock flywheel or and aftermarker one.

Its a simple fix with a grinder.

Also the clutches varied at some point from 8 to 8.5" or something like that.

Saabs are really interchangable. I have a 1979 box in my 94 vert.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i would think you would need to use the clutch that is currently on the 16v engine, but i wonder which gasket to use... are they the same part number?

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
xassh said:
i would think you would need to use the clutch that is currently on the 16v engine, but i wonder which gasket to use... are they the same part number?
The clutches will all fit in physically.

I put together a 1992 16v engine, an 85 5 speed gearbox with a 1980 99 flywheel, 99 turbo clutch diaphram and disk, and a late 900 clutch slave cylinder.
No probs atall.
I used the standard metal gearbox/engine gasket that fits all the 4 and 5 speeds from 78 onwards.

The only bit that got me was the oil pickup pipe because i was using n engine from an auto box.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Since there is this 92 N/A with a 5sp at the local yard, I have been thinking on getting its tranny as spare for my 88 turbo. Are the gear ratios all the same of a bit off? And, is the N/A tranny as strong as the turbo one?

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
check the part number on the gearbox. it is on a plate at the front by the clutch.

There are different primary gear ratios between some n/a's and turbos. You can swap these about yourself if you want to retain a particular one. You just need to take off the front panel of the box where the front mount it. There is an illustrated walkthrough by ejenner on here somewhere.

Other than this the boxes are identical internally.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
further to Toms comment.....

all non turbo's and LPT's in the UK (US and most other markets never got the LPT, its a normal turbo car just minus the APC system, so low boost) came with Type 6 Primaries (the chains and sprokets that drop the drive from the crank/clutch, down to the gearbox......

Turbo's, Aero's and SPG's according to your home market came with either Type 7 or 8 primaries, which means lower cruising revs and slightly better low gear use.. i.e. my LPT converted with an APC does suffer from too short gearing... its great in 2nd and 3rd away from the lights, but does a good 750rpm at cruising speed

My Ruby by contrast, will cruise at 80 at just over 3k rpm

As Tom said, they are easily interchangeable, and even more so if you have both boxes out of the car anyway

G

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for all comments, even chris 9-5, i suppose the teeth damage the bell end if closed to tighly, but is that forward or reverse gear, sounds a bit GOBBLEdegook to me:cheesy:. I do read most of the problems on the site to improve knowledge and answer when i can, but you don't always take everything in, but i could not remember reading any probs being mentioned about changing boxes, except for length of h/shaft manual to auto, but they are both manual boxes anyway. thanks 16(now up to 24 owned 900's)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts