SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had their windshield replaced with the Fuyao brand? I had Pilkington windshields installed in both of my 9-5s, but they both have a huge crack across the entire bottom now after getting hit with rocks. The same shop that did those says that the Pilkington glass is no longer available, and gave me a choice of Xinyi (XYG) or Fuyao (FYG). The guy I talked to preferred Fuyao over the other one. I'm not too torn up about not getting another Pilkington windshield, since people on various forums say that Pilkington windshields are soft and get damaged easily. I've read the same thing about the factory windshields here. Fuyao seems to be the OEM for quite a few brands these days, which says something about their quality.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Fuyao seems to be the OEM for quite a few brands these days, which says something about their quality.
It says something not very good, in my experience. I get to drive a variety of late-model cars for work, none of which would have had their windshields replaced. Just about every one has distorting ripples in the windshield. Yes, you might have to move your head from side to side while looking out obliquely, but the waviness is there. By contrast, the windshields in my various Saabs exhibit little or no waviness.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's not good that OEM windshields are getting so crappy. I also wish that the factory windshield wasn't so darn expensive, soft or not. I've seen a couple of 9-5s at Pick n Pull lately with perfect factory windshields, but with no good way to remove them or transport them, that doesn't do me much good. I'm getting the Fuyao for $250 installed, without getting my insurance involved, so I'll take a chance on it and let you guys know how it is. Chances are it will get a crack in it in a few years, so I don't expect this to be my car's forever windshield. :)

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
That's not good that OEM windshields are getting so crappy. I also wish that the factory windshield wasn't so darn expensive, soft or not. I've seen a couple of 9-5s at Pick n Pull lately with perfect factory windshields, but with no good way to remove them or transport them, that doesn't do me much good. I'm getting the Fuyao for $250 installed, without getting my insurance involved, so I'll take a chance on it and let you guys know how it is. Chances are it will get a crack in it in a few years, so I don't expect this to be my car's forever windshield. :)
I'm curious, why the cracked windshield?

The only windshield I've ever had to replace was on my '69 Firebird convertible--the aftermarket windshield in it was bad enough optically that it made you see double.

I've run a few cars up to 400,000 km. The windshields may have been pitted from dirt and dust, and driving into the sun was interesting, but they didn't get cracked. Hmm, I may have had to replace the windshield in my K-car wagon, but I don't recall for sure.

My 9-5 has a couple of dings in the windshield annoying close to the line of sight, and they can't really be fixed (according to people who have done other glass work for me), but the dings aren't growing. I don't want to find out how much a good rain-sensing windshield will cost.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Most of the time I figure broken windshields are a function of living in the Midwest and gravel roads , or of following too close, or f bad install. I replaced my 9-5 when I got it. Had horrible wind noise. Due to Atrocious install left a large air gap in the urethane ; It was OEM. I will find out if they are still available.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
EdT, I had to replace my ‘08 9-3 rain-sensing/light sensing windshield last year - an insurance claim. Since the rain sensor mounting pad can’t be removed and switched to the new windshield without damage, and since it is only sold with the sensor, it also had to be replaced. Total cost US $1347.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At least here in the Pacific Northwest, I'm shocked when a car hasn't had its windshield replaced. There seem to be a lot of rocks on the road, and a lot of dump trucks with uncovered loads. I see so many cars around here with huge cracks in their windshields. All three of our cars (all Saabs) are due for new ones due to large cracks. The two 9-5s started out as little bullseyes, and then spread across the entire windshield in the winter because we didn't get the damage fixed quickly enough.

Qwikredline, you can still get OEM windshields, but they're $632.93 from eSaabparts. There are enough reports of the OEM windshield pitting easily that I wouldn't spend that kind of money on just the glass, and then more on top of that for installation.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Through insurance, I take it? I keep forgetting that's an option. I need a new insurance company. My rates are reasonable, but they wanted to total our last two cars for minor damage, and they won't even guarantee me that a windshield replacement won't affect my rates. That's ridiculous!

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
No. I tend not to use insurance companies for little stuff. If it was a 1400 rain sensing windshield I might look at it differently. Deductibles and claim experience drives premiums.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Just to finish this thread off :cool:, I was driving a late-model Chev Cruze today. The windshield has quite a lot of vertical ripples in it, pretty easy to see.

In the corner there is a GM logo, and the word Fuyao.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ugh! I'm getting the windshield installed tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it is after a weekend of driving around with it. If it's crappy, then they can put something else on the car, although I don't know what that would be.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm happy to report that there doesn't seem to be any distortion on my new windshield. The stripe pattern around the outside is more or less identical to the OEM windshield. The only thing I don't like is that there's the manufacturer information on the right side of the glass, plus a somewhat cheesy SRS marking on the left side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts