SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 2006 9-3 Aero Sport Combi. My battery is discharging in about 1 week if the car is not driven. I purchased the car about 4 months ago and the battery seemed weak so as part of the sale they put in a new battery. I have now found that the car draws about 0.13A or 130mA when the car is off (and all the electronics have "gone to sleep").

I removed fuses to try to pinpoint the problem. When I remove the 40amp Maxi fuse number 37 (marked “Active”) in the main fuse box under the hood the power draw goes to zero. Additionally, when I put the fuse back in it stays at zero until I start the car. With the car off and after waiting for the electronics to go to sleep, it draws 0.13A again until I pull the fuse.

Unfortunately, the information I have only identifies the fuse as a Maxi fuse with no reference to what it supports. I did a few quick checks and it seems like the fuse box in the dash and the fuse box in the trunk area remain powered even with Maxi Fuse 37 removed. Therefore I don’t think it is a main fuse for those boxes.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this or what circuit this fuse is tied into?? Also- do you know what is meant by the “Active” marking for this fuse in the fuse box? No other fuses have this designation in the fuse box.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hi all. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 2006 9-3 Aero Sport Combi. My battery is discharging in about 1 week if the car is not driven. I purchased the car about 4 months ago and the battery seemed weak so as part of the sale they put in a new battery. I have now found that the car draws about 0.13A or 130mA when the car is off (and all the electronics have "gone to sleep").

I removed fuses to try to pinpoint the problem. When I remove the 40amp Maxi fuse number 37 (marked “Active”) in the main fuse box under the hood the power draw goes to zero. Additionally, when I put the fuse back in it stays at zero until I start the car. With the car off and after waiting for the electronics to go to sleep, it draws 0.13A again until I pull the fuse.

Unfortunately, the information I have only identifies the fuse as a Maxi fuse with no reference to what it supports. I did a few quick checks and it seems like the fuse box in the dash and the fuse box in the trunk area remain powered even with Maxi Fuse 37 removed. Therefore I don’t think it is a main fuse for those boxes.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this or what circuit this fuse is tied into?? Also- do you know what is meant by the “Active” marking for this fuse in the fuse box? No other fuses have this designation in the fuse box.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.
anti-theft?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect you are correct about "Active" being used for the anti theft. Probably also door locks. Things that require power when the car is off. It would be great to know exactly what circuits are impacted by Fuse 37. Any more feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I'll see if I can look it up, but if you're having an issue with a maxi fuse it could be a serious electrical problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for checking. The key for me will be to better understand what the fuse (Maxi fuse 37 marked "Active") located in the main fuse box under the hood is intended to protect. It is 40A so it must either be something with a large power draw or several smaller items. It is worh notiing again that when I remove the fuse and then put it back, the power draw goes to zero. Someting is not de-energizing properly when "turned off". When the circuit is fully de-energized by removing the fuse, it "resets". I am leaning toward a faulty relay. The question is which one!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Looking in my Manual, I do not see a maxi fuse 37...

here is a screen shot with the Maxi's under the hood and there functions

Edit: Derek is correct, My Bad... I was looking at and I posted the panel in front of the battery as opposed to the "Engine Bay" Panel

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
in my owner's manual I see 27-31 maxi but no description of the function.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ron- Ok. thanks for checking. Rear Electical Center. I will do some work to see what may be included in the Rear Electical Center.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MAXI fuse 37

Fuse # 36 controls at least the radiator fan, and this is how I found out:
As indicated by a previous response, the MAXI fuses do not have a description of what they control in the manual. this evening, I returned to my 2009 9-3 after six hours to find the radiator fan running. Fortunately I had enough charge to start the car. Until I diagnose the problem, I turned to the under-hood fuse box near the battery and the car manual to find a relay or fuse that controlled the fan motor, to no avail. So with the ignition off and the fan running, I began pulling out the MAXI fuses. Fuse #36 did the trick and removing it turned off the fan.

If anyone can provide help as to why the fan continues to run and how to resolve, please let me know. thanks.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Fuse # 37 controls at least the radiator fan, and this is how I found out:
As indicated by a previous response, the MAXI fuses do not have a description of what they control in the manual. this evening, I returned to my 2009 9-3 after six hours to find the radiator fan running. Fortunately I had enough charge to start the car. Until I diagnose the problem, I turned to the under-hood fuse box near the battery and the car manual to find a relay or fuse that controlled the fan motor, to no avail. So with the ignition off and the fan running, I began pulling out the MAXI fuses. Fuse #37 did the trick and removing it turned off the fan.

If anyone can provide help as to why the fan continues to run and how to resolve, please let me know. thanks.
Possibly the fan relay box (mounted on radiator support above fans) or a bad temp sensor.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When you said there was some current draw, I suppose that the radiator fan was not spinning. It would have been too obvious, and it might have drawn more than that.

What about some corrosions in the contacts of the fan relay box, or something related. I've experienced it once in the fusebox of an old volkswagen. Had to replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
that did the trick. I gave the relay assembly a few gentle taps and the fan motor turned off. Thanks for the quick response. I opened the box to attempt to remove and replaceable parts but could not remove it. Are there any release tabs that I am might be missing? don't want to force anything and be sorry later. Cheers, Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts