SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, its been 2 weeks since I got my new 6 speed Aero. Not going over 3500 rpm (even 3000rpm seems to be enough to overtake most cars) to break her in. 1800 kms and everything seems rock solid for now.

Except for one thing. Sometimes I get a funny smell in the cabin when I am backing out of my garage. Its a steep incline upwards and I have to be quick on the gas pedal to get moving up. I get the smell just after I hit the the accelerator. What do you guys think? Am I riding on the clutch and burning it? If thats the case, I ll take off with the hand brake on hills.

Help already appreciated.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Try pushing a parked car with its hand brake on... If you get the same smell it's the clutch...:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
"Funny smell" is kind of vague.

If it is a rotten egg type odor it may be hydrogen sulfide being released by the catalytic converter. This is not uncommon with new cars when the cat is still ultra efficient. Modulating the throttle causes changes in the richness of the mixture entering the cat, resulting in bursts of smelly H2S emissions. Some 93 owners a few years ago had continuing problems with this. Generally, this particular "problem" diminishes with time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on - just like rotten egg. Probably the cat then.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
M4 artist

I think you are right... for once :lol:
but wont worry you'll aways have some more jibberish :x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts