SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel gauge usually shows nothing except beyond empty but everynow and then it shows uip to 3/4 tank even if the tank is full. I am already going to replace the dash cluster but was wondering who made the fuel sender, was it a VDO part or is it a SAAB part?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
im saying the sender might be dirty. id say check it and clean it before spending a fortune on a new one. if it still doesnt work, get a new one. im sure everyone else can go into more detail than me :p

·
Registered
204 Posts
My guage has never worked at all. The light does however. This is one of my jobs for tomorrow so I will hopefully remember to let you know how I got on.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Fuel sender is a Strange unit.. Consists of a Tube containg a float thet rides up and down on a couple of Nichrome (resistor) wires. It is possible to open it and fix it.. But it's a bit fiddly work. will take a few hours of head scratching. New ones run about $60 If memory serves.
Also tighten the two grounding screws on the back of the fuel Gauge.. access it thru the Speaker grill.. just barely possible:).. a quarter turn should be enough to restablish a decent ground connection.

·
Registered
324 Posts
vabeach900 said:
I am already going to replace the dash cluster but was wondering who made the fuel sender, was it a VDO part or is it a SAAB part?
It is a VDO part, and around US$50 if memory serves me. They're a pretty simple device though so if you have a VDO place near you, see if they can repair it for less than that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorted.

OK. I fixed my fuel guage. Problem was very simple. One of the tracks on the back of the instrument cluster had a break in it. Bridged the gap and it is now fine. I can't stop looking at it now, sad I know.

Remove your panel. Look at the back and you will see all the tracks contained in the blue plastic layer. Using a multimeter on beep (continuity) mode, beep out each track from where it comes in at the socket to wherever it goes. If one doesn't beep, look along the track for the gap and bridge it with a small bit of wire.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Fuel sender and gauge on 1992 2.1 sedan

2019 thread reboot!

I just replaced the fuel sender on my 1992 2.1 sedan to see if it would correct a slowly 'bouncing' fuel gauge reading.

After a while I managed to work out how to release the fuel sender locking ring. A bunch of wood blocks, bracked up against right/rear corner of the boot space, and a big screwdriver levering off the end of a long flat hardwood block just in the right position to line up with the 'tangs' of the locking ring and it was possible to gradually make it move until it was loose enough to get out by hand. The sender is the later type p/n 89 80 393.

My spare replacement came from Saab Salvage in Sydney. I'm presuming they are very NLA, but can they be refurbished/repaired at all if they break or just don't work correctly?

With the replacement one in place, the fuel gauge reading with the car not running still isn't sitting steady and seems to 'bounce' every few seconds. Original sender had partly seperated (pic below). What else might be causing a fluctuating fuel gauge reading?

pic page

Old posts suggest a problem with the flexible circuit track on the back of the instrument cluster. Are there any known problems with the electronics of the gauges themselves for later year non-turbo cars?

Craig.

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
I believe it's modernclassicsaab which sells the "converter" that allows you to use the 9-3/9-5 integrated sender with the factory gauge. That would be my approach... readily available parts vs. spending 10 seconds fixing something NLA.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Interesting - haven't found anyone in Aus Saab circles who know about that product. Does anyone in this forum have it, or have seen it, and know something about it? I haven't seen a 9-3 fuel sender before to know how different it is to a c900 one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts