SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have looked through the forums and technical documents and have a better idea of what might be wrong with my Saab but I figured that I would post the symptoms and see what you guys might think. The car will start but sometimes you have to hold the gas pedal down and then it seems like it doesn't want to stay running. When it finally starts and goes to idle, it seems like nothing is wrong when it is cold. When it starts to warm up, there is a hesitation and almost like a misfire. That is what lead me to believe that there might be a problem with the head gasket. Also on top of those symptoms, it has developed an overheating problem but I made sure that it never made it close to the red zone on the guage. I have come up with a few different conclusions and have decided that there probably is a vacuum leak somewhere and that the head gasket might be blown. If anyone has any good points on diagnosing the head gasket, please let me know.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I'd say you are on the right track. A blown head gasket could cause variable idle and stalling like a vacuum leak. Other symptoms, overheating, loss of coolant with no obvious leak, clouds of white smoke from the exhaust, oil in coolant, coolant in oil, mayo round dipstick (or chocolate milkshake according to some twisted minds), and a few other things as well. The way to know for sure is to get a compression test done, and check for hydrocarbons in the expansion tank. Try a search on the words "head gasket" for more details.

Welcome to Saab Central :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
It sounds like a long shot, but I would take a look at the ground point on the front crossmember. quite a few wires ground to this point (including the elecric fan) and if you live in an area that salts their roads in the winter (Buffalo is capital of salting in winter here) then those wires could have corroded off. There's roughly 15 wires that ground to this point.

I had the same problems you describe with mine and when I fixed all the grounds my 89 turbo convertible sprung to life and its like a new car now. It now idles and accelerates correctly... something it never did consistantly. And most importantly the turbo is now working properly. AND no more check engine light.

I actually like driving my saab around now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Now armed with a few different things to try, hopefully it will bring the car back to life. I have spent many hours working on it and also had quite a few fun times driving it. That has been the only car I have had up past the 140 mph mark and probably would trust to get even close to that mark.

Below is the list of parts that are getting replaced right away:

Quantity In
Stock? Part Code Name Price Per Unit Core Charge Total Remove
Yes 7549876 Expansion tank (with cap) $59.90 $0.00 $59.90 Remove
Yes 03010 Distributor Cap $4.60 $0.00 $4.60 Remove
Yes 04188 Distributor Rotor $10.18 $0.00 $10.18 Remove
Yes 8817520 Ignition Wire Set $43.75 $0.00 $43.75 Remove
Yes 00054 Ignition Coil $53.59 $0.00 $53.59 Remove
Yes 9390220 Ignition control unit $35.90 $0.00 $35.90 Remove
Yes BCP7ES SPARK PLUG SET (4) $6.90 $0.00 $6.90 Remove
Yes 8819708A Exhaust System Kit $129.50 $0.00 $129.50 Remove

Hopefully that will get me on the road. Is the ignition amplifier the same thing as the control unit? A picture is below...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Matthew said:
I have a vague recollection that for those symptoms someone in the past has suggested that the ignition amplifier might be at fault. That component can be found in the inner wing on the left-hand side.
So that is what you were referencing in the above post?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well hopefully all the parts will help me in the quest. I gave up sending it to the dealer after the first $6000.00. It has just been sitting and collecting dust for about 3 years. Does anybody know where I can find some new fuel injectors? And maybe the fuel line from the tank to the filter?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts