SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was told by my mechanic that the hesitation is porbably from my throttle position switch which I got 3 from the junk yard the otherday. I didnt know how to adjust them so I just pu them on and the car would almost stall out after coming down from RPMS...so I put a good one on and found that I need to turn it and tighten it down. but over tightened on of the bolts going into the throttle body:( so Now I need to get another throttle body. The bently doesnt talk about it anywhere and doesnt list it in the back. how do I remove the lower brace from the block?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Why? Did you like tear the threads or something? Tap for the next size up...

You put the TPS on so that it makes a click just coming off full-closed. That's all...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wouldnt work when I did that. I had to give it a little extra to idle correctly and not have the RPMs drop and almost stall out. it works fine now its just if I ever have to take the TPS off its done. and also I would need to remove throttle body to tap new threads. impossible to do in the engine. not enough room

Did you like tear the threads or something
not sure what that means?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He means did you strip out the threads in the throttle body when you over-tightened the TPS bolts.
that would be correct, which is why I need to take off the throttle body to replace. In the bentley it shows how to adjust the TPS but not remove the throttle body after stripping the screws. All I was asking is how to remove the throttlebody from the engine. I cant seem to remove the bottom bracket that mounts to the block.

thanks

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I think you have to remove the clutch cover and remove the lower bolt on the bracket, then remove the three nuts between the t/b and the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick reply grif900!

Also does it matter what year throttle body I get? I have an 87

thanks
daivd

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Don't replace the throttle body it is kind of expensive and a PITA for what happened - just tap the hole for a larger screw. "cut new threads" in it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's no toom to tap it straight. I can barely get my fingers in there to put the screw in. I would love to just re-tap it. The only thing I can think of is taking a larger screw and forcing it in and then its done.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The yards here are super cheap. What I need to know is are throttle bodies from 88,89,90,91,92 compatible with my 87? and I dont have a tap set. and would probably cost more than the throttle body itself. I got an uncracked dash for 20 bucks. im sure it would cost me like 10 bucks.

·
Registered
906 Posts
grif900 said:
I do belive 86-89 are the same.
I'm not so sure they are. I believe there are differences in either vacuum lines or coolant lines IIRC. I was going to replace one in my '89 with one from an '86 and I seem to recall I was going to have to make some changes to make it work.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Can you drive your car? If so just park it alongside and look ;)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL cant do that cause the part is attached to a car in a junk yard. I need to pull the part myself

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
David,

I suggest that you go to TheSaabSite, or other similar, and compare the throttle body part numbers for your car and other years / models. If they use the same replacement part # you can be fairly confident of interchangeability among the junk yard parts.

I changed the Air Mass meter on my 87 900S with a junk yard part, and you're right it was pretty cheap. I'm not 100% certain, but I think I got one off a 900 NG by just looking at it and making sure it was physically the same and had the same part number on the housing as mine. My 900S ran just as crappy with the junk yard part as it did with the one that was on it since my problem turned out to be a vacuum leak else where.

Sc

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
philbert said:
I'm not so sure they are. I believe there are differences in either vacuum lines or coolant lines IIRC. I was going to replace one in my '89 with one from an '86 and I seem to recall I was going to have to make some changes to make it work.
Right,looks like only 86 and 87 are the same pn.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
900t said:
You put the TPS on so that it makes a click just coming off full-closed. That's all...
Clean throttle body and butterfly
Back off the idle stop screw, allow throttle plate to close completely (it should jam slightly)
Tighten screw until it contacts the throttle, tighten 1/8 turn
Adjust throttle switch so that it just closes the idle contacts (clicks)

The purpose of the stop screw is to prevent the butterfly from sticking when it's closed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts