SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone ever do a full service and component tests?

What would that involve?

How long would it take?

Would it be very practical to do this?

Would you find much wrong?

And I mean EVERYTHING. - performing every procedure in the maintenance schedule and everything else you can think of doing too.

Brake system
Suspension
Cooling system
All filters
All oils
Flush and bleed everything
Full check of fuel system components
Free every drain bung

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Would you find much wrong?

Guess it depends - but if something WAS wrong chances are you'd find it!

Generally, when I get a new (old) vehicle I do all this stuff right off the bat - typically I just install new brake pads, new hoses, new belts, a new exhaust system if the old one is in the least suspect, new tires if the existing ones are suspect or mis-matched (I hate that), and do a full tuneup (cap/rotor/plugs/wires) just to be on the safe side (I've discovered that it's cheaper if you don't need to get towed back from where you break down to where you work) - that gives me a maintenance baseline - my maintenance schedule is ....

Brake system
- I check the brakes for wear on the vehicles under my care every 6 months or so - with the exception of my commuter (120miles/day) which gets checked every 3. I do this when I rotate my tires, with two floor jacks maybe 20 minutes.

Suspension
- annual - check ball joints, tie-rod ends, bushings, wheel bearings (although they tend to announce themselves), shocks (bounce test and look for oil blowing past the seals. I also do this during a tire-rotation cycle - doesn't take very long - maybe 30 minutes total - of course I generally find something wrong which drives the time up a bit ....
- alignment - when I get new tires or replace suspension components. I leave this to a pro (no alignment rack in the driveway!)

Cooling system
- annual (commuter) or semi-annual flush and fill - probably an hour.

All filters
- annual - if it needs it or not - ten minutes, perhaps?

All oils
- engine - every 3,000 miles, with a filter - 15-20 minutes?
- gearbox - annual - 30 minutes.

Flush and bleed everything
- annual (I hate brake fade ....) - an hour - outside guess

Full check of fuel system components
- fuel filter every three years, unless it announces itself - 15 minutes ('85) and no profanity due to convenient under hood location - 45 minutes ('88) and significant profanity resulting from inevitable face full of gasoline ...

Free every drain bung
- never done it 'cause I hate removing carpet from a car (I can never seem to get it back in right!)

In addition, I check the ground and positive battery connections, the engine ground and the like on a regular basis, I check oil levels every second time I fill up the tank (my vehicles) or every couple weeks (other fleet members) - same with the coolant levels.

I think it's worth it - especially the hydraulics 'cause I hate not being able to stop - and hydraulic components last longer bathed in fresh clean fluid than they do in nasty, water contaminated grundge.

Note - I recycle all the old fluids - although finding places that accept coolant is getting tougher all the time.

Looking at it, however, with five vehicles in the family fleet, now I know where my weekend time goes!

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts