SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So BSR tell me that I can run stage one and two on 97 RON fuel it will cost 5 -10 % in performance though.

They also go on to say that they recomend 98 RON for stage 3.

After seeing some peoples problems with the motors with stage one and three, and fingers pointing to low RON fuel numbers, I'm trying to find who has what fuel.

Here in the UK...
Esso have super unleaded but its 97 RON
BP Ultimate is 97 RON

I can't seem to find what rating of Shell Optimax fuel is.

Anyone know? I do notice a slight difference with my standard Aero running super unleaded. Bet economy too, which cancells out the extra cost....

Bit worried as to long term effects of running 97 RON on stage 3 as I can't seem to find 98 RON

thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The only place i have ever seen (and i mean ever) 98Ron is Leicester Forest East services. It really is like rocking horse**** all around the UK because i can remember when the Honda S2000 came out and that is the only fuel recommended, other fuels give a dramatically reduced BHP in the region of 10% i think was stated. I havent filled out with it for around 18 months though (since i handed in my fuel card), but from recollection it certainly wasnt cheap!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Bladey.98 RON fuel is available in the UK as Shell Optimax.Shell Optimax is infact the ONLY 98RON fuel available in this country.As you say,BP Ultimate is 97 RON.

I run my 9-5 Aero on Shell Optimax exclusively.I find that almost all Shell garages sell Optimax these days,unless you find yourself really out in the sticks.

Shell's uk website has technical info on the fuel,and also a Shell forecourt locator-useful if you are leaving known territory and want to find the nearest Optimax outlet.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps...

Think i'll start using optimax for a few fill ups.. see what its like... and if i go bsr stage 3... i better open up a shell account :roll:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I put 94 today in my Vector (BSR) and ...man....did i notice a difference. The car was pulling much harder. My friends were even asking me what did you add to the car.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
nestoraero said:
I always use 98ron in my aero....it is also stated in the car manual,that the T engine uses only 98 and above....
In the handbook it states 95ron is the optimum fuel for all UK petrol models??

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My dealer (bond st jwlanky) said that they (aero) can run happily on regular or super (95 or 97 98) . But I will get better economy and bit better performance from super. Thats all i'm running now. Reason i started this thread was because BSR said that stage one or two will run on 97 RON but with a 5 - 10 % performance hit, but stage 3 they recomend 98 RON..

So if you go with a BSR stage 3 in the UK at least, you'll be filling up with Shell optimax only! and we all know how much that stuff costs!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Optimax is NOT the only 98ON fuel available. In Durham we have a BP station that has not switched over to ultimate and still sells BP Super Unleaded - which the pump claims is 98RON.

I have kept a chart of all my fuel over the last 12,000 miles and find that I get marginally better consumption (0.5 mpg) from the 97/98 RON fuels. This offsets the additional cost. My average consumption is 25.7 mpg, so 0.5 is about a 2% improvement. Cost per mile is almostidentical - slightly better for the super grade of fuels.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Aero_adam said:
Optimax is NOT the only 98ON fuel available. In Durham we have a BP station that has not switched over to ultimate and still sells BP Super Unleaded - which the pump claims is 98RON.
As i mentioned earlier the Leciester Forest East Services used to sell 98RON, but now only sell the ultimate (97Ron). My problem is locally, that Optimax is circa 93p+, Super Unleaded is 91p+ and Normal Unleaded is Circa 84p, i dont get any better miles and cant really justify the price difference for just plodding up and down the Motorways with the cruise control on. Maybe i'm just too tight and missing the bigger picture on the benefits of using premium fuel!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I put 94 today in my Vector (BSR) and ...man....did i notice a difference. The car was pulling much harder. My friends were even asking me what did you add to the car.
Odd, I put some 94 in and my DTE sensors went haywire, had half a tank, saying I had 47km DTE.

Since then I've stuck with 91

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
dam where do you guys find these old threads to bump....... this thing is 5 years old.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
dam where do you guys find these old threads to bump....... this thing is 5 years old.
HAHAHA, one of the problems with not having a "real" search in a forum Hopefully they figure it out soon and switch over to a new server and bring back a basic function of all forums...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Resurrecting this mummy of a thread:

I'm looking at going with a Stage 1 or 2 BSR tune... But they only sell 91 at pumps in CA... What to do?!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Resurrecting this mummy of a thread:

I'm looking at going with a Stage 1 or 2 BSR tune... But they only sell 91 at pumps in CA... What to do?!

You buy 91 and call it a day, or find a place that sells 100 octane (which im sure there are plenty) and mix your own to get 93+

1 - 20 of 24 Posts