SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding how you would know when your fuelpump is packing up. My car starts fine when cold, and it goes well in town. However at extended drives on the highway at a constant speed, eventually it starts stuttering and if you apply the accelerator it will hesitate and stall as if the fuel is not there. Then it will die, and you wait a couple of minutes and you can start it again.
I had it at SAAB and they could not pick up a fault (tech2), even though the check engine light flashed when this happens.
The fuel pump sounds a bit wonky too when you prime the engine. Is it possible to service and check the SAAB fuelpump or is it a sealed unit that needs to be replaced.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Which engine do you have - the turbo 4-cylinder or the V-6?

When this happens, does the tach go to zero like the ignition is switched off? If it does, it could be the crankshaft sensor failing. These tend to act up when the engine gets hot, and when they cool off, the engine runs normally again.

Our fuel pumps tend to either work or stop. It's not very often that a fuel pump will fail, then start, then fail again. Since the pump is in the gas tank and being cooled with gas, it should not get very warm unless you drive with very little gas in the tank... Ron

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds to me like the fuel tank might be experiencing minor vapor lock.

Try driving it with the gas cap removed and see if the same thing happens.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies guys...

I have a 4cylinder SE 185hp...

The cps was already replaced and that did something totally different, the revs used to jump around, but here the needle stays in exactly the same place but the feeling is of the car being starved of fuel. CPS is new, and not the DI Cassette either.

a vapour lock will not happen if the fuel tank is full up??? somehow it seems to happen more frequently when the tank gets emptier. How would I check and fix a vapour lock situation, seeing as that will be the next logical cheap thing to check as I have already changed the fuel filter, and I don't feel like forking out all that money for a new pump...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61165
one of many.
The manufacturers should be working on this. Not to design a better pump, but to improve the diagnosis and trouble shooting procedures.
Good observations, these do point to the FP.
Has the filter ever been changed (60 to 90K miles, then its ???)..
Todays fuel is cleaner, but what if a filter deteriorates due to age ?

Forget the vapor lock; go by what Ron has so kindly written and my link.
About $80 to $100 for the pump and several hours of concentrated labour.
Not as kind and forgiving and inexpensive as the '66 Chevrolet, but, it could be worse..

·
Registered
35 Posts
RSA to check for vapor lock simply remove the gas cap and drive the car as you normally would.

It may not be the problem but it's a very easy thing to rule out as some of the symptoms do lean that way (no pun intended!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts