SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I got a problem, my exhaust manifold heats right up after 5 minutes of running, and I mean it's hot,I could easily fry a steak on the sucker. A foot away from the manifold and my hand is burning up, , someone told me catalyser, so my car needed a new exhaust anyways, so I installed a whole new system from the manifold on back, and I mean everything is new, still I got the extreem heat emitting from the manifold, now someone else says lean fuel, unfortunatly this guy knows nothing about Saabs, and I'm not about to let him play with it either, now other than the injectors and fuel pump, what else is responsible for the fuel delivery and how does one adjust the fuel flow, and please in laymans terms, I know mechanics but dont know all the terms associated with it .
Thanks for any help thrown this way , it's appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are you getting a Check Engine light while this is happening? If you are running too lean you will get a fault code for it. Just a thought :roll:.

I had a problem with running way too lean a while back but my manifold temp wan't excessive.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
What model do you drive ?

Paul

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Check the ignition timing first. Is this a cis 8 valve? Pat

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
I guess it's a T16? Also I think the fact it's running lean would indicate an
issue with one of the components. Does it boost well or does the APC pull
it back? You could start by testing the air mass meter (or air flow meter)
the testing process is described in the bentely manual. You could also check
the throttle position switch as I think this can have an effect on the mixture.

Edit: as Pat says, ignition timing is a good one to check.

Either way the good ole' bentley manual would be very useful in this situation.

·
Registered
577 Posts
check under bonnet temperatures for an eye-opener on engine bay temperatures...

if you have a turbo then check at night, after a nice period of running high boost, what your turbo en exhaust manifold look like now. If you're in a dark spot and all the lights turned off you can see a literally red hot turbo and exhaust manifold.... I've seen pictures of it, looks real cool! :D (I'd advise you to keep your engine running when checking... ;))

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off, my nic here says it all, it's an 85 16 turbo SPG, second yes the bloody thing does become red, the manifold and turbo and it's scary, looks as if the thing is gonna melt on me, or worse heat up so much hit water or something cooler then crack on me, another probg is at idle if it ides for 5 minutes or so it starts to smoke grey , and it gets worse, looks as if I'm setting off a smoke screen, , I took the valve cover off and the timing marks are all in their proper place, I think I'm going to scrap this peice of junk cause it has been nothing but a money guzzler and problems, also the oil seems awfully thin, it drips like water, so I'm thinking either a cracked head, or leaking head gasket, although it's not smoking white but a dirty grey and the fumes dont smell sweet as they should if coolant is being burnt, I've also noticed and incredible pressure in the overflow tank for the coolant, and it's coming in from the pump and also from the overflow hose coming from the rad into the overflow tank, coolant is being pumped into the tank from both directions, this is really starting to get me down and frustrated to the point of letting the car go, I'm in a small rural area and there are no saab mechanics anywhere near by cept for a few hundred miles away ,anyhow, I'm giving up on it I think , I just dont have the financial resources to keep funding a useless cause

thanks,
Mike,
sorry for the long paragraph, just venting I guess

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
It is posible that the smoke is from oil around or near by or on the exhaust. As for the heat, do check the timing as this can cause more heat in the exhaust. Your timing may be retarded. After this you should change the oil to 20-50. Run the car and look under the car to see where the smoke is comeing from, there just may be some leakage from the distributer aria running down in the turbo aria.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Not good!, It is the head gasket. If the water pressure is like this, then the head gasket is bad and the combustion chamber pressure is being forced into the cooling system. The head will in most cases need to be machined. It is not really that bad of a job to do yourself. Just fined a good machine shop to check and see if the head needs to be done, it may not.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK I don't know what'ws happening, but this car is playing evil tricks on me, now, I've tried to set my AMM, and the highest I could acheive was 364, but damn the car is running much better, also I swapped my Distributor , and agai some improvments, I think that vaccum thingy on it, for the advance timing on the other one may have been tierd or something to that effect, now, leaving the car idle I'm no longer getting that grey smoke I was talking about, could that have been cause of the AMM meter being outta wack, and the engine doesn't seem to be heating up as much, and I'm noticing that my coolant isn't coming outta both tubes into the expansion tank no more either, OMG this car is gonna be the death of me :x

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK it started again, the bloody smoke from the exhaust, and it seems to have something to do with my AMM, or maybe even my Wastegate, I changed my AMM settings to 380,(which from looking around could not find if it should be set with engine running, key on , key off, or straight to the pins disconnnected, anyways I did it all ways, and got better running with a reading of 380 disconnnected) anyhow, before my AMM was at a whopping 1007 ohms, :confused: now that it is set back to 380 it's smoking again, and I've oil dripping from where the actuator arm clips onto the wastegate, Turbo oil seal leaking, or even worse through the rings?? what's going on :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts