SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 and I am having a problem with fueling up. When I open the gas cap, I hear a continuous hissing coming from the opening. If I try to put gas in, I can get about 2-3 gallons in before the pump clicks off. If I keep fighting the pump to put more fuel in, it will continue to click off, even when the tank is waay under-filled. One time, I continued to fight if for a while, and eventually gas spilled out even though the tank was only 3/4 full when I turned the car back on.

I am pretty sure that the fuel gauge is correct because I get the same driving distance out of the car as I always have. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My car does the same exact thing and it's starting to make me want to pull my hair out when it comes time to get gas. I've done a fair amount of googling and have found no answers. I have found that 1/10 pumps will work just fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The hissing, pretty normal on any car I have owned (well saloons/estates that need a pretty long filler pipe to the tank) when you run them to near empty.

As to fuelling and it clicking off, that's obviously when the pump is getting flow back.

I dont know yet what kinda filler pipe system the Saabs have yet, but when I started having similar problems with the Mitsubishi with it being metal it had rusted pretty bad due to 10 years of road salt so was blocking flow (and when it finally blew through was p****** petrol all over the floor!)

Worth a look trying to trace the pipes (main filler and breather), see if there are any blockages, dents.

Also worth getting a jerry can of petrol, jacking up and looking underneath while doing a test fill ;ol;

1 - 3 of 3 Posts