SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not able to get fuel in my tank, I think the non-return valve in the fuel pipe is faulty. Has anyone heard of this? I have to trickle the fuel down. Problem began after I filled it up. Can this valve be replaced without replacing the whole gas tank. I'm thinking it might be plastic welded to the tank. Please help...

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
welcome to saab central, i will have to give this some though and get back to you, its not some thing i have come accross

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little more info

This may or maynot be helpful. I do not get the rush of air (purge) when I open the gas cap. This is another indication that the non-return valve may be nearly closed off. I have attached a link (.pdf) to a Saab worksheet given to mechanics that better explains the fuel tank system. I do not think it is the float valve since that would make the fuel gauge look full, plus would still allow me to add fuel if it was stuck open. Your interest and help is appreciated.
http://www.saab-edu.com/brochures/ORVT_WKBK_10-03-02.pdf

Again, even based on the diagrams you will see, it looks like the non-return valve is plastic welded to the tank, meaning an entire tank replacement, and I do not know what it would take to drop a gas tank. Unhook battery? Clamp any lines? Is air in a line going to effect fuel pump?

Other than that, the Aero runs fine, as long as I put 91 octane or higher in it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel tank problem results

The used car dealer I bought the '02 9-5 Aero from has been very helpful in resolving this issue. As I was led to believe from Saab mechanical documentation, any valves associated with the gas tank are plastic welded to the tank, meaning the whole tank has to be replaced. Not the easiest of jobs. The dealership said they could open the non-return valve and let me drive the car, but can only fill it half way full of gas while a new gas tank is on order. I took option 2, got another car from the lot and will drive that until tank on Aero is replaced. I can only imagine getting stranded somewhere because I can no longer put gas in the car. Thanks for anyones time in troubleshooting this, hopefully this will answer someone elses problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts