SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car smells like gasoline. It seems to be worse when the tank is full, when first getting into the car after it's been parked (it gets better as the car is driven), and when the windows are open (versus closed) while driving. When the tank is full, I can even smell it a bit standing outside of the car.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Has your fuel pump been recently replaced? I had the same problem and it was the pump to tank seal.
Check around the top of the fuel pump to see if there is fuel present or it looks like fuel has spilled out the top.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Just lean beneath the rear end of the car and with spotlight see if there`s no traces of recent (wet) fuel coming down from fuel pump area ...
if it`s wet there, be sure that your fuel pump housing is not sealed properly, you`ll need new o-ring seal as the original one with time in fuel will be deteriorated (got longer/larger) and not be sitting right in it`s groove.

been there, done that ...

if so, be carefull not to snap those endpieces of plastic fuel lines ...

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
lorkp said:
My car smells like gasoline. It seems to be worse when the tank is full, when first getting into the car after it's been parked (it gets better as the car is driven), and when the windows are open (versus closed) while driving. When the tank is full, I can even smell it a bit standing outside of the car.
Yeh, I've got similar.

There's a very slight sticky residue on top of the pump, round the return pipe, but it doesn't _seem_ to be enough to cause what can be quite a strong odour. It seems to be less noticable since I leaned the AMM off, though still there. I've got no real relationship with the smell and the tank level, though.

·
4,637 Posts
I find that both of my non-cat cars smell of petrol when driving. I wonder is that just because we're so used to cat cars these days that the petrol smell that we were all used to in the past is now very noticable.

OTOH, I recently sorted a fuel line leak on one of the cars. It would smell strongly of petrol when driving and for maybe an hour after stopping too. Mostly around the passenger door (LHS) and wheel arch. I finally got around to pulling the line and found it worn almost through where it passes through the suspension tower. The grommets had gone bad so the fuel line was rubbing directly on the metal edge of the hole. I repaired it by cutting it and joining it with some 7mm rubber fuel hose and a pair of screw clamps. No fuel leak smell now...

If you have a smell that persists after shutting off the engine, you likely have a leak in the pressure line between fuel pump and injector rail. Other areas are at low pressure so will only leak while the engine is running but will stop almost instantly when off.

The smell in the car after parking that goes away when driving is likely a splash type leak or a very small leak that opens only when under pressure and usually blows away while driving so can only smell up the car when parked. It stops leaking very soon after switching off as the pressure reduces in the fuel line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts