SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a thought and I am soliciting thoughts on this. My 05 Linear has a fuel sending unit issue. However the behavior of the unit is extremely consistent, so I have a theory. Its too cold right now in Ohio for me to drop the tank and see whats going on but I will be doing that as soon as weather allows or I borrow my brother in law's heated shop :). Right now I am using my trip odometer as backup. here's the deal.

When I first fill the tank to full the gauge shows empty, fuel light on, DTE - - -.
After some driving, usually around 100 miles or so the gauge starts working, DTE shows what I believe to be an accurate number based upon the odometer and calculations when i refill. for example. when the gauge is indicating 1/2 tank I am at 240 miles on the odometer (I am consistently getting 480 miles to a tank).
After the point where the gauge beings to work it will work all the way to empty and again once refilled it goes to zero for the first 100 miles or so...

If I recall correctly there is an alignment notch on the fuel unit and the tank. You must align them to avoid the sending unit getting bound up inside the tank. This car had a sending unit replaced not too long ago, so I am thinking maybe the unit was installed not without the appropriate alignment.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I think the sending unit was damaged when it was being installed or it's defective. I bet the thin wire on the rheostat (the wire that the moving arm rubs against and whose resistance is converted to a reading on the dash gauge) is worn or broken at the full level. As the fuel level drops in the tank, the arm again makes contact with the unbroken/unworn wire and reads normally.

I'd live with it until you have to replace the pump or sender - I don't know you could repair it. I'd say you're lucky that it's broken at the full level.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hus_Sho....The replacement was made by the previous owner, i have the paperwork but not in front of me.

Steve12955 - that sounds pretty solid and a likely scenario. It really is not much of a bother compared to a completely non-working unit. I would not attempt to fix it but rather just replace. At some point I plan to get a new assembly and replace it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
could be after market, could be that they dis not replace the whole assembly just the pump, could be a million thing .. if u want to drop the tank then its no brainer just to replace the whole thing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts