SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
If you eve have a problem again, do not take the top off.o_O:censored::cry: if you remove the circular disc with gauze in, from the bottom,(get a stanley knife blade or similar to prise it off, as very tight,) this will then allow you to push the whole unit upwards enough for you to see which wire has comer off/broken ,and if the two stems are parrallel), and to be able to repair it without having it completely out of the tube. Once repaired push it back down, then try it in car before refiitting base. (Remove wiring to fuel pump, then you can turn it upside down while attached to sender wiring to check all is on the dash. Also make sure that the centre pole and the other one are parrallel in the tube, as if not, it creates a 'twist' so the fuel sending will get stuck part way, and will need to get the two rods both parrallel. but if you just tip it one way, and then the other, before fitting you will hear it slide one way then the other, so know it'#s OK

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 6 in the garage but UK> If you go onto face book and search ''Saab 900 (1979-1993)'' , it's a USA based site, but has people from other parts of the world, ask if anyone has one, as there are lots of C900 owners IN USA etc, as that's all the sites about> I'm sure you will soon get one (y)

I have a 1990 Saab 900i 2 door saloon. I needed to extract the Saab ( in fact made by Veglia for Saab) fuel level transmitter which is held into the top of the fuel tank by a large plastic ring screwed into the tank. It has teeth around it’s circumference and Saab made a special tool to engage in the teeth. I have just bought from Amazon in Aug 2020 for about £10 a “ Two Way 3 Leg Oil Filter Wrench Removal Socket Heavy Duty Universal Adjustable”.
This works perfectly. With the 2 plugs disconnected and moved to give space, the 3 legs swung to the tool’s smallest diameter , the tool can pass through the hole in the boot floor and then the legs can be swung out and positioned around the plastic ring so they grip when the tool is rotated counterclockwise. As you rotate the tool the three legs clench the plastic ring. Perfect and inexpensive!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
knock it round with a large flat head screwdriver or a good thin piece of hardwood, worked every time for me

·
Registered
3 Posts
knock it round with a large flat head screwdriver or a good thin piece of hardwood, worked every time for me
I advise against using force in this way. Most of the components in this area are plastic including the fuel tank. I have read of amateurs breaking the large castellated plastic nut and even the top of the level sender/transmitter. The Spurtar Two Way 3 Leg Oil Filter Wrench Removal Socket Heavy Duty Universal Adjustable only costs £10.99 on Amazon (Aug 2020). Also you will be able to use it to tighten the nut on reassembly without any chance factor problem

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I have had 50 C900's and removed exchanged many, and have used the same method along with hundreds of others> if dont carefully it's fine idf stupudly you will probably knock a couple of the bits off, but when you are miles away from home and one goes you use anything aspecially a good flat headed screwdriver and a hammer worked everytime for me

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Same. Never used anything but a screwdriver & hammer. You'd have to use a crazy inappropriate amount of force to break anything. Light taps round in a circle. Not sure I would use any real tools to put it back, either... hand tight and then maybe a couple light taps to get another couple degrees.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
fwiw modern classic saab (use your google machine) makes a pig tail adapter that enables you to you the 9K float on 2.4 cars. Check it out.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts