SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999, 9-3 Base 4-cyl.
I have looked long and hard to find out which line goes in and which line comes out. I need to make sure I have my fuel pump reconnected correctly and at the moment, I'm not so sure.(It isn't starting) I haven't found a good picture for it either.
If I'm reading the below diagram right, the line that leads to the #17 bushing is closer to horizontal in orientation when installed and the other points more downward.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not so sure again. I'm dealing with a no start issue, currently in another thread, and now I'm concerned these two are mixed up and no way to verify.
  • The top hard line coming off the rail is roughly 6.5mm (more horizontal, visually from outside the car-never mind the image above)
  • The line pointing downward is roughly 8mm.
From some other posts it seems the larger would be the feed line.

How someone would screw this up is to change the fuel pump and have to cut the lines from the right angle check valve connectors to the fuel pump itself. The lines to the fuel pump are the same diameter.

My troubleshooting step for today is the fuel pressure and without knowing exactly which line is which, that is tough. My only recourse is to trace the lines, but it is hard when they disappear up above the tank from the filter.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Just blow through them...?

You don't even have to go to the fuel rail. Just unbolt the filter.

If you can't get enough pressure to overcome the check valve, just redirect the feed to the filter into a gas can and run the pump. If fuel comes out, it's correct.

HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER ON HAND WHEN MESSSING WITH GASOLINE!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have gas coming out of the line to the small diameter but when I ran it awhile under a straight line to the battery, I didn't get any gas returning. Maybe 30-45 seconds.
Since I am also dealing with a no start car, if it starts on fire...it will at least make my decision for me.
While not trying to cross my own threads, testing the injectors with a noid light they don't seem to be getting a signal. So I'm thinking two separate issues at this point.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, it is ambiguous, but it is where I am at.
I am resorting to do my best to trace the lines from back to front. With all the rabbit holes I've been down regarding my non-start, I was hoping for corroboration/definitive on which line was which so I don't continue chasing rabbits.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the fuel rail, the smaller diameter line is the RETURN line. The larger diameter line leads to the fuel filter.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Yes - that is correct. The only place the lines could be confused is at the tank. I think that point was made in the other thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts