SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my fuel pump may be on its way out. While sitting at a light today i hear a high pitched dull kind of moan/whistle noise anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Noisy fuel pumps are not uncommon, they can however go on for a long time before needing replacing. At £250 a go, i'd put up with the noise until it fails.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can't hear it with the window open. but im going to let it ride i guess. Thank you kermit :)

SAAB 95 FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT
DANGER!!!!! Fuel is Highly Flammable and qualified people only should do this job!
1 Make Sure that the Tank is pretty low on fuel to make the job easier with less fuel spillover
Raise the lower rear seats and pull back the carpet and remove the round fuel pump cover
Unplug the fuel pump wiring and move hooks back that secure the line fittings. The white valve is the pressure side and the black side is the return line. Be careful removing these as they will break if you pry on them too much.

Remove the Screw ring (55 ft lbs during reinstall) by evenly tapping on left and right side at the same time or you can buy the Saab tool part number 8394462 directly from Saab at 8774177222.
Lift the pump out of the tank until it is out of the tank about 2 inches and the pump clockwise about 1/4 turn then remove it from the tank. (there should be marks on the tank and the pump for alignment) Move it to a milk jug or 5 gallon bucket to help with any spills
Install in reverse order and do not completely cover the pump after installation unless you have checked for leaks first. Remember that any leak can cause a major fire!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
masterjml said:
you can't hear it with the window open. but im giong to let it ride i guess. Thank you kermit :)
Hmmm, its under the rear seat. It should be very evident if its the fuel pump. If closing the window blocks out the noise, its not your fuel pump.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh no i mean the ambient noise from outside drowns it out but when you close the car up you can hear it

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
If its the fuel pump is should be noticably louder when the fuel level is very low!

Mine was loud for years, before I had it changed ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, as long as its not a critical item.... i plan on doing alot of upgrades to this car i just know on my previous car the fuel pump was making some noise then it cut out on me when i made a sharp corner.

also feel free to stick the how to on installing a new one. it should be public knowledge

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
At light throttle in 5th gear mine makes a whining sound, not real loud, but its pretty annoying.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts