SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like an idiot i ran out of gas yesterday in rush hour. My gas gauge has worked intermittently for the last year or so, but i still believed it when it showed quarter tank remaining - normally it just pegs on E. After pushing car up hill with much appreciated help from good samaritan, i put 5 gallons of jetpep in and car started right up. I later filled car with good gas and had no problems for 20 mile trip home. The total amount of fuel added was ~17 gallons so safe to assume it was empty i think. This morning, car would not start. Turned over fine no sputtering just would not start. I assumed i had removed what life was left of fuel pump with running out of gas and trying to start it several times to get across 4 lanes of rush hour traffic. This afternoon i planned on pushing it in to garage to start troubleshooting and it started right up without a hint of hesitation. Car has no stored codes. Is this normal Saab behavior for failing fuel pump? or might i have another issue? I'm in the process of finding a fuel pressure gauge kit right now so any recommendations would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I beleive if your guage is stickin and your having starting probs you prolly need a new fuel module. have you listened to your fuel pump kick in at all? just put the key in and turn it to aux or on position and listen for a lil electric motor sound.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you get the no-start condition again, tap the bottom of the gas tank a few times with a small hammer of 2x4 or whatever you have lying around. A few good whacks will do, don't worry the tank won't break. Now try starting it again. If it fires up you can bet the pump is at fault.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds very similar to what I've had over the past month or So with our 04 petrol aero convertible (50k). Three times it's failed to start on our drive, turns over but doesn't catch or catches briefly but dies after a second or two. No pumped fuel at Fuel rail into engine. But has started after recovery to garage without any attention, then runs fine for a couple of weeks, then it happens again. This third time only happened yesterday so trying to figure out what to do, maybe an mobile auto electrician to check for power at fuel pump and take it from there? (I'm not very hands on). Just want to get an idea of where the problem is before shelling out money! We've had the car 14 months and to be honest there's always been a slightly tired whirring fron the rear on startup but always started first time and run absolutely fine. Also run fine recently with the exception of the nonstarter, although my wife did say it really struggled to get going yesterday on trip before it wouldn't start (was 'putting' was how she described it, then got going and ran fine to get her home). No fault codes on display. Anybody been he before? I'm thinking either a bad earth somewhere or pump on last legs, appreciate any views...might help guide mcsholz too...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds very similar to what I've had over the past month or So with our 04 petrol aero convertible (50k). Three times it's failed to start on our drive, turns over but doesn't catch or catches briefly but dies after a second or two. No pumped fuel at Fuel rail into engine. But has started after recovery to garage without any attention, then runs fine for a couple of weeks, then it happens again. This third time only happened yesterday so trying to figure out what to do, maybe an mobile auto electrician to check for power at fuel pump and take it from there? (I'm not very hands on). Just want to get an idea of where the problem is before shelling out money! We've had the car 14 months and to be honest there's always been a slightly tired whirring fron the rear on startup but always started first time and run absolutely fine. Also run fine recently with the exception of the nonstarter, although my wife did say it really struggled to get going yesterday on trip before it wouldn't start (was 'putting' was how she described it, then got going and ran fine to get her home). No fault codes on display. Anybody been he before? I'm thinking either a bad earth somewhere or pump on last legs, appreciate any views...might help guide mcsholz too...
I've ordered the fuel module kit for $300. I'm not going to mess about with this as the car is my daily driver. My fuel sender does not work anyway, and with 155k miles I may as well replace pump and sending unit so I can drive with peace of mind. If this doesn't fix it I'll let you know what I find. Good luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the fuel pumps on these have a tendency to burn up when you run out of gas. you may have done that
Makes sense. Actually karma did this. A friend and I were making fun of our women; how they always drive around on fumes and leaving the car in the driveway with just a few ounces of gas and expecting us to fill em up.. Etc. I had it coming. :cry:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced fuel pump module and all was well for three days. Now car won't start and I have several codes, transmission module and crank pos sensor. What next? Fuel tank was a breeze to drop, great design. FYI, I don't think you can siphon gas through filler tube, I tried but ended up having to remove filler from tank and siphon from tank directly. Easy one person job, two would be better but you do need to get the car as high as possible on four jack stands for easy access. Thanks for the posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts