SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lucky with my 1997 Saab 900s not to many repairs needed. But with 105k miles I'm starting to think I need a new everyday car to drive around with. The first major repair I'll like to avoid is the fuel pump. Could some of you post at what mileage did you replaced the fuel pump at?

·
Registered
867 Posts
It might give you a little warning before it goes out. Mine ran poorly for a couple days before dying in the driveway at work. I banged on the back seat and the pump came to life enough to get back home and do the replacement. You can determine the condition of the pump with an oscilloscope. A good pump will show a slight voltage drop when the gap rotates by the brushes. A pump going bad will drop the voltage to zero when it hits a bad section. (There is a picture of this somewhere on townsendimports web site.) This happens too fast to see with a normal voltmeter but I need to experimented with my new fancy digital model to see if it can work. If you can view min and max values you might be able to see the "dropout" problem that predicts the impending pump motor failure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts