SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read over a few different posts on replacing the fuel pump from above vs dropping the tank on our OG 9-3's, so what follows is pertaining to this method. I'm a rookie mechanic when it comes to anything related to fuel or electrical issues, so please forgive the elementary nature of my questions here.

I went ahead and ordered the whole fuel pump assembly from E-Europarts (part no. 23342785), as this corresponded to my 1999 model year 9-3 according to them. The price was reasonable enough at $86.

My observations are as follows:

1. The diameter of the cover for the new fuel pump assembly is roughly 5.5 inches (pic attached)

2. The cover as seen in the pic I took after cutting out a portion of sheet metal and carpet measures 3.5".

I'm assuming the black cover in my photo comes off, but if so, what is the best way to remove it? Any clarification in this regard would be much appreciated from you all. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
I wonder if the pump has already been replaced by a tank drop (as you had to cut open the floor)?

The pump should be secured by a lock ring, which is not visible in your picture. What happens if you pull up on the black plate?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EdT - you are correct about the lock ring. The new fuel pump came with one, but the existing pump does not look to have one. As for lifting up on the black plate, I tried prying it lightly with a flat head screwdriver, but it didn't move much, and I decided against it for now, that is, until I get some more information on this forum. Maybe I need to simply apply more pressure when prying it off, but figured I should play it safe.

Just an FYI, the new pump I ordered from E-Europarts was a ProParts unit, i.e. Professional Parts Sweden.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
From what I have seen of other threads on fuel pump inspection and replacement, the black cover should pop off.

I never did a replacement on one of these cars, but on a 9-5 which has a slightly different setup (starting with, no hole needed to be cut).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EdT - yes, my perusing of some 9-5 owners' posts found exactly that, no need to do any cutting. Ironically enough, I'm probably going to sell my 9-3 once it's fixed, as I'll be moving at the end of the year and am contemplating a 9-5 wagon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, quick update here. I pried a little more, but didn't want to take the chance of damaging the cover/disc. Here's what I found out. I cleaned the dust off the black cover to see if I could read the tiny writing on top. Here's what I could make out: GT Products, Ann Arbor, MI, Part no. 4753262 (https://www.freepatentsonline.com/5062444.pdf)

This part number revealed it to be a fuel system vapor vent valve. So . . . I initially thought I had the correct location for the fuel pump, after reading numerous posts saying that it was under the rear seat, right under the flap in the carpet, slightly right of center.

But is it possible I have the wrong place altogether? My Saab 9-3 is a 1999 model, a T5 model. Can brighter minds than me chime in, and perhaps tell me where the elusive fuel pump might be?

·
Registered
18,810 Posts
The black cover only gives you access to the wiring and maybe the lines. You can't change the pump through the factory hole.

Options:
1) Cut a larger hold to access the pump. Care required not to cut the wiring. Smart money cuts three sides and leaves one in place to act as a "hinge"... bend the metal back down and secure/seal when done. You'll likely need to loosen the fuel tank straps to get room to work on the line removal/install.

2) Drop the fuel tank. This is the factory method. Replace the pump. Reinstall the tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob - thanks for the heads up on the post by tdhite regarding the fuel pump job on the 9-3. I had seen his post earlier, and sure enough, I made the mistake of cutting around the top of the fuel vent valve (as per my last post). Upon second glance, I should have cut to the left of the fuel vapor vent valve.

While dropping the gas tank is one way to reach the fuel pump, my situation doesn't allow that, unfortunately. Living in a condo does have its limitations I guess, and while I can work on my car's interior without raising suspicion, they don't allow owners to work on their cars otherwise.

Oh well, back to the cutting board, I mean, drawing board. I have a multi-tool I used to cut the original hole, so I will be extra careful in cutting the proper area this time.

·
Registered
18,810 Posts
Bob - thanks for the heads up on the post by tdhite regarding the fuel pump job on the 9-3. I had seen his post earlier, and sure enough, I made the mistake of cutting around the top of the fuel vent valve (as per my last post). Upon second glance, I should have cut to the left of the fuel vapor vent valve.

While dropping the gas tank is one way to reach the fuel pump, my situation doesn't allow that, unfortunately. Living in a condo does have its limitations I guess, and while I can work on my car's interior without raising suspicion, they don't allow owners to work on their cars otherwise.

Oh well, back to the cutting board, I mean, drawing board. I have a multi-tool I used to cut the original hole, so I will be extra careful in cutting the proper area this time.
I understand the situation all too well! Just be sure to make up a steel panel to reinforce the giant hole you end up with (or bend the "hinged" panel back down and secure it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I understand the situation all too well! Just be sure to make up a steel panel to reinforce the giant hole you end up with (or bend the "hinged" panel back down and secure it.
Ive done this job both ways and cutting the (big) hole is not ideal( I think it compromises sheet metal) . but pulling the tank is not any fun. You must remember to be very careful about the check valves in the top of pump. If you break these it just makes a hard job harder.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob - your timely advice is much appreciated. I cut out the necessary size hole with my trusty multi-tool, and was able to do it safely without cutting any wires, as SaabTurbo alluded to. I'll let you all know what happens when I finally get the new fuel pump put in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts