SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 900s Vert - not getting fuel and cannot hear the fuel pump. I'm attempting to jump the relay located above the ECU but found 2 of them - should I jump the forward (towards the interior) or the rear relay (closest to the engine)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
1993 900s Vert - not getting fuel and cannot hear the fuel pump. I'm attempting to jump the relay located above the ECU but found 2 of them - should I jump the forward (towards the interior) or the rear relay (closest to the engine)?

Thanks in advance.
There's a good no-start diagnosis algorithm here http://townsendimports.com/Web/engine_folder/nostart24.htm that covers the fuel pump and relays. You've got to be careful jumpering stuff since those relays are connected to the ECU and you don't want to fry it. I believe that you have the Bosch LH 2.4.2 fuel system. I recommend that you follow the steps exactly as they're presented. I've used it 2-3 times and it has always led me to correct conclusion.

In my wife's 91 vert the fuel pump relay was lacking the ground supplied by the ECU which meant I had to replace it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
go direct to the pump with power supply(spare battery etc) if it runs it's the relay then just change it
Not necessarily so.:nono; If the ground signal from the ECU to the relay is missing the pump won't run and changing the relay won't make any difference.

Frank,

The pump is under the floor in the trunk. It only has two wires. Disconnect it and use any 12V DC power supply to test it. I use my battery charger. This step is covered in the link I sent you. Hopefully it is just the relay since that's the cheapest component besides the fuse.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
SAAB uses a special Continuous-Duty Relay for the Fuel Pump and LH System. They used to cost $100 and never failed.
Most aftermarket parts suppliers offer the cheap replacement (less than $10) suitable only for Fog Lights etc. Many ill-informed repairers install them in place of the right part, thinking "it's cheap, easy, and I read on the internet that it might be the problem".
It would be foolish to replace a functioning high-quality Relay with a cheap piece of junk. Do a proper diagnosis rather than throw (cheap) parts at it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
SAAB uses a special Continuous-Duty Relay for the Fuel Pump and LH System. They used to cost $100 and never failed.
Most aftermarket parts suppliers offer the cheap replacement (less than $10) suitable only for Fog Lights etc. Many ill-informed repairers install them in place of the right part, thinking "it's cheap, easy, and I read on the internet that it might be the problem".
It would be foolish to replace a functioning high-quality Relay with a cheap piece of junk. Do a proper diagnosis rather than throw (cheap) parts at it.
I'm going to pick me up a couple of relays the next time I'm at the Pick 'N Pull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts