SaabCentral Forums banner

Fuel pump question

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Kamikaze78 
#1 ·
My fuel pump level sender dont work for the first and last 1/4 tank. The reason I posted in tuning, I was thinking of replacing the fuel pump with the highest stage maptun fuel pump as eventually I wanna go all the way with maptun. My question is will this upgraded fuel pump behave just like the stock one... since I dont have the rest of the tune. Because theoretically you can have a fuel pump with 100 times the flow rate, but its only gonna flow at the rate fuel is used. My main concern is if this would overwork the fuel pump making it prematurely fail?

#2 ·
Yes you can use any pump without the tune, the fuel pressure regulator will keep it at the correct rail pressure.

You can get the Walbro 255 lph pump (100 bucks and free shipping) and fit that in a new basked ( the fuel level sender is part of the whole unit). You can also get a ETOH compatible Aeromotive unit if you nave a newer 9-5 that will work with Ethanol and really max out the car.

Why are you looking at MapTun? , lots of very good (some better) experienced tuners in the us that will save you big$$ to spend on other things. Also communication and customization is much easier when you are here and speak English. You can also more easliy go up stages and mix and match components if you are not happy with a certain turbo, or see a sued one for cheap that wil work.

#3 ·
Yes you can use any pump without the tune, the fuel pressure regulator will keep it at the correct rail pressure.

You can get the Walbro 255 lph pump (100 bucks and free shipping) and fit that in a new basked ( the fuel level sender is part of the whole unit). You can also get a ETOH compatible Aeromotive unit if you nave a newer 9-5 that will work with Ethanol and really max out the car.

Why are you looking at MapTun? , lots of very good (some better) experienced tuners in the us that will save you big$$ to spend on other things. Also communication and customization is much easier when you are here and speak English. You can also more easliy go up stages and mix and match components if you are not happy with a certain turbo, or see a sued one for cheap that wil work.
Actually I think I got a little ahead of myself on this one, As I take a closer look, I'd have to disassemble my fuel pump to install the upgraded fuel pump. The whole reason Id want to replace it is cause the level sender. I thought the fuel pump from the tuner came assembled... till I looked at the part. My level sender is a courious problem as well... for the first and last 1/4 tank... fuel light is on and gauge is on Refuel... but only running summer blend gas. Works perfectly running winter blend gas.

As far as what tuner to use... first off especially with a modified car... aint a single person I trust to do the work but me. So I just need the parts. And I can talk to any supplier over the phone. Maptun also has a reseller in the states. And for power. 90hp bump from maptun would be a nice but even more so the 220 ft lbs bump puts me in wrx stomping mode... lol. Probably be pretty fun car.
Also for me... the 2005 is ok... but the dream lies in the 2006-2009 95 areo... which I'd probally call nordric on and try to step up to the horse power more... maybe end up somewhere along the lines of 500-800 hp.

The 05 is currently an auto, but I have a manual transmission doner car that I plan to scavenge the parts for... I'll post the conversion once I get it done. Just waiting to sell my van, get a 2nd car, then I'll be pulling the trans to do the rear main seal... manual will slide right in.

#4 ·
So, you'll tune the car yourself? If so, why bother with MapTun or Nordic? Get the parts wherever and install them yourself. I pick up a MapTun intercooler direct from China for 300 shipped.

I for one think doing the auto manual swap is insane, just get a manual car and swap over and good parts from your and you are good.

#5 ·
So, you'll tune the car yourself? If so, why bother with MapTun or Nordic? Get the parts wherever and install them yourself. I pick up a MapTun intercooler direct from China for 300 shipped.

I for one think doing the auto manual swap is insane, just get a manual car and swap over and good parts from your and you are good.
Well first off maptun has all the parts in a kit to ship, and it takes more then an intercooler. I need fuel pump, injectors, turbo, exhaust, and the ecu flash. To trace down all these parts for a car thats no longer a manufacturer is insane when I can get it all in 3 clicks.

Another thing. I am really tired of people telling me to just buy a manual trans car... I have done nationwide searches and only find east coast rust buckets. Plus I already have every part I need for a manual swap for free. Also a manual swap is easy. Replace the auto shift linkage with a manual. Replace brake pedal and add clutch pedal. Connect the clutch master to the brake master, you just cut the nipple off the brake master. Then swap trans, plug the trans cooler lines... optional... replace the instrument cluster... if your ocd about the prndml on the dash. It will literally take me less then 16 hours... honestly I could probably do it in 12 hr if no hang ups. And did I mention parts are free? With a brand new clutch? Beats the $120 for atf flush every 24,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.