SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick back story. My wife drives the car 22 miles home and she stops a block from home and I get in to take go find a parking spot. As I get in, it dies. It will crank but won't catch. It looks like its out of gas so I go get some and put it in. Car catches for a second and dies. Then cranks like before until about 15 minutes later it finally starts. Next day it starts and runs fine. This morning it will crank and won't catch.

I haven't gone and looked at it yet, but I have a feeling its the fuel pump or relay. I'm not hearing the pump run when the key is turned on.

Before I jump into this, I want to ask a question about compatibility between fuel pumps. Most of the ones on ebay say they fit an 89, is it reasonable to assume it will work on my 91 turbo vert? Very few of these sellers say anything about turbos but will have something like this
Saab 900/ 900S L4-2.0L FI VIN D 1989
Saab 900/ 900S L4-2.3L FI VIN B 89-97
Could I use that? Is it the same fuel pump for all 89-93?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
91 Turbo vert has the "Walbro" kind of pump, buy the 70$ insert new and take it apart. The same pump is used on newer Saabs, even og9-3's and 9-5's, with a level floater on it that can be removed.

Probably if it is saying 89 only it is useless

Next time it won't start, go and tap the top of the fuel pump with the butt of a screwdriver.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts