SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel pump lines. Hi all the fuel lines and pump were removed from this 93 Saab 9000 that I recently bought. I purchased a junkyard pump and installed it this way. I hooked the pressure side up to the fuel filter by determining the fuel filter side was the one I could blow air through with the filter removed and hook the return line to the line that would not accept any air. Does that sound and look right? I also enclosed some pictures of the fuel rail because I still cannot figure out how the fuel stops at the regulator when the pump is hotwired in the box with a jumper from 14 to 22. One of the Saab shops in the Seattle area suggested that I do not concern myself with fuel at this stage and get spark first, so I am going in that direction. However, I would appreciate it if someone can explain to me how the fuel does not pass by the regulator on a hotwire. Is it because there is no vacuum coming from the engine to help open the regulator?

Please click on link to see the pictures

http://staff.washington.edu/sp53/pump.htm

Steve

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
the supply side has a non return valve so when you blow down the line - you shouldn,t be able to ( so once the rail is pressurised it holds fuel in it)

The return side is open vented
The supply goes to the high pressure banjo union on the fuel rail
The return comes from the clip hose fitting onto the spigot below the regulator on the fuel rail

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Norman and thanks for your note. So are you suggesting the fuel feed from pump does not enter the regulator first before it enters the fuel rail? I need to take better pictures because I did not show the fuel rail, regulator, and pcv connected as one piece.

Steve

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
the banjo union hose is a high pressure fitting hence supply
the spigot and hose is a low pressure fitting hence return
thinking it out, if you were to go the other way round the injectors would not get a pressurised supply, they would only see the atmospheric bleed off pressure down stream of the pressure regulator
cheers

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you Norman you are starting to make sense. I think what I need to do is cut the fittings back off at the pump and reverse them. I guess the logic I used was that the injectors needed to have the fuel regulated before the fuel got to them. I thought the pump would generate too much pressure.

Steve

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Norman and thanks again for your help. However, please let me ask it another way so that I am clear. If I wanted to perform a fuel pump test, would I unhook the line at the top of the regulator where the brass fitting is or the bottom of the regulator where the metal clip is too see pressure?

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts