SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fuel Pump Tank Hose

I have an 87 Saab 900s (16v) that had a bad fuel pump. Why removing it the black canister that sits inside the fuel tank had a black hose attached to the outside of it. The problem is this black hose deteriorated so badly that it was basically goo. My question is did this hose attached to anything inside the gas tank or did it just sit there. What it's purpose? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning everyone, I am having this exact issue. Does anybody have an answer as to what that hose does? Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same issue with the car I'm repairing sat for 18 years and anything rubber turned to goop. According to Bentley that hose is needed for the fuel return which allowed the car to corner without being starved for fuel.

Does anyone know where I can find a hose that fits and where and how exactly inside do I attach it?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
You can buy hose at an auto parts store, but you MUST be sure it's 30R10 (submersible) rated hose. This is NOT "fuel injection hose." If it doesn't say 30R10, it's the wrong hose. It's VERY expensive, like $20/foot. If you're paying much less, it's the wrong hose. If you buy the wrong hose, it will turn to mush and may destroy the pump. I think you need about a foot to have room to install it and get the pump back in.

I don't remember if it's 1/4" or 5/16" ID but it's surely one of those two. It connects from the fuel pump to the top of the tank (on the inside), a few inches towards the center of the car from the pump opening IIRC. Feel around up there and you'll find the barb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can buy hose at an auto parts store, but you MUST be sure it's 30R10 (submersible) rated hose. This is NOT "fuel injection hose." If it doesn't say 30R10, it's the wrong hose. It's VERY expensive, like $20/foot. If you're paying much less, it's the wrong hose. If you buy the wrong hose, it will turn to mush and may destroy the pump. I think you need about a foot to have room to install it and get the pump back in.

I don't remember if it's 1/4" or 5/16" ID but it's surely one of those two. It connects from the fuel pump to the top of the tank (on the inside), a few inches towards the center of the car from the pump opening IIRC. Feel around up there and you'll find the barb.
Thank you for the quick and unbelievably helpful post!

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Here is what you are looking for:

Often times the plastic line has been broken, but hopefully some is still there to attach to. If not, you can attach directly to the fitting on the tank. If that's broken, you need a new one.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Did you guys find out the size? I put in a fuel injection hose 7 yrs ago, probably worth replacing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Anyone know that fuel hose size? I'd rather order one instead of popping open the fuel pump twice. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
The factory parts catalog probably has that information.
I don't know why there isn't a parts catalog in the stickies...

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
@Txavier - That might be it, but the use of that specific eeuro part is for the '89+ Walbro fuel pumps. I think it's the same - 5/16" 30R10 1' hose - but I couldn't swear to it. The only thing that specific link will definitely work for is the 89+ fuel pumps.

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
The complete parts catalog has reference sizes for generic shop supplies like hose. A bulk hose will be shown as 4mm, 6mm, etc. in a separate table. Nipples may also be listed by size.
5/16" is almost the same as 8mm.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thank you Gentlemen, I ordered a foot of the Gates 5/16" per your suggestion. I still have to figure out why my engine starts to starve at 1/4 tank of fuel. Perhaps the power to the feeder pump has been interrupted? The feeder pump works when tested.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
The feeder is powered by the same circuit as the main pump. There is a little branch circuit near the pump. If the return is disconnected, it will definitely be a problem as the tank gets low.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Today I decided to tackle the fuel pump project. I replaced the hose from the return to the pump cylinder with the $20 submersible hose, the old one I put in 7 yrs ago was starting to get hardened but hadn't broken down.

I checked the voltage for the feeder pump with the main pump disconnected and I had voltage but the pump didn't run. I'd replaced both pumps in 2020 so I still had the old feeder pump. I put in the old feeder and it worked fine. The broken feeder was branded Professional Parts Sweden. A month ago, I had a Professional Parts Sweden replacement clutch line fail, the rubber hose just slipped off the metal hose so the clamping failed. Has anyone else had problems with Professional Parts Sweden, I won't buy from them again.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
PPS is garbage and should b avoided whenever possible. Sometimes there is no choice, but when there is, don't. Saab forums (including this one) are littered with unfortunate stories about short life from PPS parts. :(

I just spend an obscene amount of money shipping Skandix parts from Germany because the only domestic options were PPS. Real sad state of affairs. :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the input, now I know better. All is well with my Saab now, time to replaced those aging front seat leathers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts