1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car: 1999 Saab 9-3 2.0T
mileage: 112,000
symptom: car doesn't start
cause: dead fuel pump (saab investigated)

so I was driving down the road and the fuel pump died. Im picking up the car, as the dealership wanted over $1000 :eek: to replace the pump. I have found the parts online at a cost of $115 for the pump and $3xx for the entire assy.

Whats a good source for ordering the parts? I found the part here as well as autozones website.
Can i order just the pump?
or do I need an entire assy?
Do I need to drop the tank to replace?
any other parts or I should replace while im working in that area? I replaced the external fuel filter only about 10,000 miles ago.
any tips for doing the job?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I replaced the fuel pump. we pulled the pump and found that I actually had an exact match that we pulled out of a mustang I owned a few years back. The mustang only had 9K when we pulled the pump (upgraded to a high flow pump for an SC application) so we swapped that in and it runs great.

except now the car's steering feels weird. I wonder if I screwed something up when I was towing it on a dolly.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Mustang pump? Did they have the same number or just looked the same? I mean do they both have the same output and everything? Out of which year Mustang was that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
02 mustang

im not 100% sure it was a mustang pump, my buddy is a mechanic he found the pump in a box he had of spare parts, it looked to be new and in good shape so he put it in.

the saab fuel system is a return style system, meaning what ever fuel isn't used is just returned back to the tank, so it really doesn't matter what size the pump is, to large is just going to move more fuel out and back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts