SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
What a great find. I will check that out this week.
Many thanks

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
You win!!

What a simply great idea.
Worked a treat, quite hard to get down onto the retaining ring, due to the cutout in the floor being a bit small. But a bit of panel work, and it happened. Will refine the tool I made so I can do my other cars if needed.

The 9000 grifffin might, it, has 190,000km on it, and has a little whine.
Now to put the new pump in and see how it all goes.

Robin

Reactions: Ryengoth

·
Registered
443 Posts
The factory tool changes to square tube just above the ring so it doesn't hit the floor pan. I wonder if you could cut off about 100mm of the "working end", notch 5 or 6-way slots in it and use a piece of flat bar to turn it? There's a little bit of swing room on the left side of the tank, looking from the back seat.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The cutout for the floor is offset from the pump module on the rear side so it makes working on it at all a pain. I don't understand why they didn't make just a bit larger. That's the kind of stuff you see on airplane service hatches. LOL Just design the tank with the module 30-40mm that way instead of where it is and it's perfect. NO, it has to be offset so you smack your hands on the sharp metal edges..

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Sure looks like you are meant to take the tank out to do it!
However, I am going to modify the "working end" before I try replacing the pump on the griffin.
Will do it by inserting a bit of narrower drain pipe inside the working end my tool, it will be taller, easier to put a big screwdriver through to act as a lever.
It will look a bit more like the one in the link you provided.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
All good here now, new pump in, complete pump. Maybe it has even "cured" my "check engine light".

Pump was ordered on 19th May, from PFS, arrived my place, Southland New Zealand 27th May!
Excellent service.

All happy here.

The old one has "lost" the screen off the pick up, obviously in the bottom of the tank.
Might try renewing the pump in this one and fitting it to my griffin, has 190,000km.

Reactions: Ryengoth

·
Registered
3,429 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Do not assume the picture is correct on AliBaba or AliExpress. I would still recommend the Walbro kit in the original nylon basket if the sender works. The plastic quality is 5X better on the originals.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts