SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I filled fuel tank and noticed fuel smell in cabin. When I removed fuel pump cover there was gasoline on top of the pump (housing cap was full of it). I dried everything, started the car and noticed that fuel is filling where pump wires are attached… When I wiggle wires pump will switch on and off. Both wires are hard and brittle and white one is burned at spade connector. It broke when I tried to bend it… Few years ago there was birned wire inside pump assembly and I replaced it.
Is it normal that petrol comes out of wire opening?
What should I do/check with wires?
What could cause burned/brittle wire(s)?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Tire Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Tire Wheel

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Check/replace fuel connectors O-rings, they leak.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked again with fuel line plastic cover removed. It definitely leak at wire connectors, one connector is loose so I gues it doesn’t seal as it should. Engine is of for ~2 hours and it still leaks there…I will try toremove some gas from thank…

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep in mind that all those fuel pump O-rings are designed to swell on contact with gasoline; they are one-time-use items.
I will not remove fuel lines as leak is where wires connect to the pump. However I should have spare O-rings for supply lines and pump cover.
Is there something I could use to seal wire connector at fuel pump cover, from outside. One pin is broken/loose and hasoline leaks there. I guess it’s not common plave for fuel leak….
I remember that 8V fuel pumps have some yellowish gooe over wire connectors… not sure if it was on plastic or metal
Leak is circled in red on photo.
Automotive lighting Cameras & optics Audio equipment Motor vehicle Film camera

·
Registered
11,523 Posts
I think you need a new fuel pump assembly. I don't know what happened in that area, but the destroyed connector and damaged housing suggests some trauma. It's gasoline, I wouldn't mess around there. Get or make a new wiring harness and replace that assembly.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea what happened, I think it was like that when I bought a car but it didn’t leak as I never fill the tank to the edge. Broken connector was not connected since I own this car, I doubt that is factory set-up. Only two pins for pump are connected… I guess that someone coldn’t remove connector (if there was one?) and it snaped…. Yesterday I overfilled it because my fuel gauge is dead and I was sure that tank was near empty… 20l was enough to overfill..
I would like to have new assembly but it will probably take weeks. I would be happy even with old style pump as I have spare tank for it but anything for c900 is hard to find here.

·
Registered
11,523 Posts
The fuel pump is shared between most Saabs - any Saab made between 1990 and 2002 uses the exact same pump. The 9-5 kept using that pump until 2005 as well. I've got a pump from an '03 9-5 in my SPG, for example.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s interesting, never herad that before.
They look very similar but are listed under different part numbers and also listed as “does not fit” c900…
What is the catch? Are the fuel line connectors same? Or better to ask what is different between “fit” and “does not fit”? I assume that they are not plug and play, could you please elaborate.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After thoughts: Previous ovner did change fuel pump (I read it on local saab forum some time ago) and if I recall correctly he used pump or assembly from later saab. If newer pumps consume more power, could that be the reason for melted wires? I found that info on UK saab forum, confirmed that later pumps are usable on 900 with some (?) mods (wires?)

·
Registered
11,523 Posts
No, there isn't a tangible difference in consumption on these pumps.

The different part numbers reflect the different applications. They will all fit and all work perfectly in a c900. You may choose to remove the fuel level sender to make installation easier, but it doesn't need to be removed if you don't want to. Nothing needs to be changed. Buy the newer pump, put it in your car.

·
Registered
11,523 Posts
Do make sure you buy new o-rings for the lock ring and the fuel inlet & outlet if you can. I have reused them successfully pretty often, but they are intended to be replaced and may fail if you try and use them twice. Be VERY gentle removing and installing the inlet and outlet... Use a lubricant that isn't silicone or Teflon to avoid needing force and wrecking the fuel lines. If that happens, you will be very sad.

·
Registered
1997 NG900 SE coupe
15 Posts
What could cause burned/brittle wire(s)?
A loose or dirty/corroded connection can cause high resistance, resulting in enough heat to scorch that wire insulation. You're lucky it did not cause a fire.

As has been recommended by jvanabra, do not reuse this pump--replace it. I would coat the terminals with dielectric grease before assembling.

Just so happens I am about to install a replacement tank and pump on my "new" 1997 900. Previous owner had taken it in for service after smelling fuel. Amateurs made a hash of the job--never did get it fixed--resulting in it being sold as-is.

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
The fuel pump is shared between most Saabs - any Saab made between 1990 and 2002 uses the exact same pump. The 9-5 kept using that pump until 2005 as well. I've got a pump from an '03 9-5 in my SPG, for example.
Same fuel pump up to 2010 in ROW gasoline 9-5s.

Reactions: jvanabra

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What ROW stands for?

I will try to source pump assembly today.
I have spare O-rings and wires and will be very careful with fuel lines. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Once you have the new pump, best step would be to replace that termination.
The heat stress from that hot joint has weakened the temper of the copper.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks!
I did replace pump and wires/termination.
It works and doesn’t leak yeey

1 - 20 of 22 Posts