SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump is leaking around the banjo fitting for the high pressure line. I pulled it apart and the rubber parts of the seals seem pretty torn up.

I've been looking but can't find just the seals/washers. Can someone give me some direction?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Napa had some copper washers that are a bit bigger than they should be, but they seem to be holding.

I'd still rather have the correct ones with the rubber inserts. If anybody has a part number or can point me to them online, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Yeah, I saw those, but if they aren't called out specifically for the fuel pump, I'd worry.

The fuel filter has two different sized washers. Which I didn't know when I replaced mine until I started the car up and found the pool of gas underneath. ;oops:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Do either of the fuel filter sealing rings match what you need at the fuel pump? I've seriously scoured the EPC and older QRGs looking for a good part number, but with NO success. If the fuel filter ones don't work, can you give 3 dimensions in millimeters - OD, ID, and thickness. Vern

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the new ones from Mike Shaw Saab in Denver.

$11 EACH! :evil:

The copper washers failed after a day or so of use. Looking at these new ones I can see why. The step in the rubber seal provides two surfaces on each side to aid in the seal. Pretty ingenious.

fuelpumpwasher3.jpg

fuelpumpwasher4.jpg

·
Registered
716 Posts
Got the new ones from Mike Shaw Saab in Denver.

$11 EACH! :evil:
Saab dealers charge rip off price for those dowty washers.

Next time try local hydraulic pneumatic suppliers. You can get them for a few pence each in UK. Look at the price of M10 & M14 nitrile washers on this link.

http://www.airlines-pneumatics.com/webcat/Detprod.asp?ProductCode=S010193

That dealer ripped you off at $11 each:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/pricing/index.php?part=4443883&Submit=Submit

·
Registered
411 Posts
Got em for $1 each....bought ten and put away..

Matthews Foreign Car Parts - (205) 251-5800
1221 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I usually use new copper washers and toss away any of those non-copper washers with the rubber inner sealing bit.

I'm not sure why there has been a move away from copper washers for sealing banjo fittings, etc. in fuel, oil, and related systems.

When I installed the modified engine oil cooler setup in my 81 turbo sedan a few days ago, I used new copper washers mated with the brand new banjo fittings that Pirtek used when making up the new cooler hoses and there are no leaks whatsoever.

I prefer copper in fuel and oil situations since copper is maleable and will conform to any imperfections in the sealing surfaces on the steel banjo's, fuel filter housings, etc.

Craig.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys after reading this thread i started doing some research and found that they share parts with volvo. here are the volvo equivilants and they are copper!

Note these are Volvo part numbers

14mm Ring 947621, 947621-M131, 1006496 (14 X 18 X 1.5 mm)
12mm Ring 947282, 947282-M131, 1006483 (12 X 18 X 1.5 mm)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
You can buy proper bonded washers from McMaster Carr. Just search by ID... 12mm and 14mm for most of a c900.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 183,000 miles on my og 9-3 with copper washers and ZERO leaks. I think Saab used copper washers when the cars were new. I learned today that Volvo still uses them. interesting....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts