SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pressure regulator is gone, there is petrol in regulator’s vacuum hose. If I remove vacuum with engine on it (fpr) will spit fuel all over the place... Car is running rich.
I have troble sourcing spare FPR, even at junk yards, so I am wondering if there is some other FPR that I could use. One of 9000? Or maybe different car make? I have seen some alfa romeo regulators that look just same as saab’s fpr..
So what is the difference between all these (3bar) regulators? Is it only brackets and hose fitting or there is more?
Long story short - are there any saab 9000 or non saab fuel pressure regulators that I could use (even if I have to modify brackets) on my 1990 n/a 900.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
As long as the FPR is for a non-turbo car, yes, it's just modifying brackets and hoses. They are otherwise interchangeable.

It's expensive, but you might look at this:

It's an adapter that lets you use modern Bosch style regulators with a c900 fuel rail.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That make sense. I just need to find one with same hose fittings in a next few days.

Regulator kit looks good

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I'll wager all the threads are the same, but I'm not sure switching makes will help - all the old-style regulators are getting rare. Definitely let us know what you find... I imagine this will be a problem for a lot of people soon.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
The Return line from the regulator is a low-pressure line and doesn't need any special fittings. A hose with a clamp works OK on that line a couple of feet away by the L/F wheel.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did found that some old Lancia/Alfa Romeo/Fiat regulators p/n 7744346 are same as n/a 900

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Yeah... but can you actually buy it?

I randomly found this:

which is materially similar to the part I linked above. Looks like these "adapter housings" for modern Bosch regulators are cheap and widely available in Europe... I found this while looking at Jenvey throttle body kits for Duratec motors. You would need to find correct fittings to use this with your car, but that should not be expensive. Then you can use cheap and widely available modern Bosch "insert" regulators.

Edit:

Another...

These things are everywhere... I'm out of touch!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Return line from the regulator is a low-pressure line and doesn't need any special fittings. A hose with a clamp works OK on that line a couple of feet away by the L/F wheel.
That clamped return line is kind of funny after threaded fitting on regulator return line, but I am not engineer...
Jim, are you saying that I can use any 3bar regulator (same style as oem) with matching high pressure line fitting?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah... but can you actually buy it?

I randomly found this:

which is materially similar to the part I linked above. Looks like these "adapter housings" for modern Bosch regulators are cheap and widely available in Europe... I found this while looking at Jenvey throttle body kits for Duratec motors. You would need to find correct fittings to use this with your car, but that should not be expensive. Then you can use cheap and widely available modern Bosch "insert" regulators.
I don’t know if I could find it, will tell in a day or two...
I would like to keep it simple but these adaptors may be a good idea if I can’t find old style fpr.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up with 2.5bar Lancia thema fpr, all seem to work well. No idle fluctuation, no “rich” smell from exhaust... Thanks to Jim’s post in other member thread about idle problems - made me check fpr.

But I have other fuel (pump) issue.
I have removed fuel tank to weld (again) some crack on it and naturally I have fuel pump removed. After instalation pump was a bit noisy and I discoverd that wires/connection on pump housing is very hot (burn my finger hot). Removed it again to find burned grey (live) wire and connector.
I have used same wire (cut of burned part) to reconnect as I did not have other fuel resistant wire insulation..
Now to second issue maybe related to first...
Car is 1990 n/a with big plastic nut fixing the pump.
Plastic bucket that hold the pump has broken plastic ring ( small ring where pumps bottom is seated is separeted from bigger ring which is seated on the bottom of the bucket) which should hold the pump steady I guess.
I suppose that pump may be noisy because of that and more important - I think that excessive vibrations of the pump may have demaged the wire.
Is it safe to drive like this? Noise doesn’t bother me much but this burned wire in fuel tank is scarry.
I am checking (touching) the wires after every ride, they get hot after longer ride (like 40-60*C) but not burning hot... Is this normal.
I could buy used pump/housing but would not like to push my luck with plastic fuel lines again if not necessary.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wickipedia is my friend...
No expolosion hazard due to lack of oxigen. Kind of guessed that but was not sure, should have checked first to save post reader time... It’s a bit embarrassing but I am happy to be safe.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Wiring will get warm when it's passing current - more current, more heat. If the pump is noisy, it's probably old and failing and drawing excess current.

Your car should have a 3 bar fuel pressure regulator. Using a 2.5 bar will cause it to run lean... be careful of that.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no idea how old is fuel pump but I am sure that broken plastic ring on pump housing does not help with noise.
I did search for 2.5bar fpr on n/a and find out that it should be fine.That aside I am driving on LPG most of the time so running lean should not be a problem (I hope). LPG is not my favorite and not much of a saving any more but car came with it and it could be useful from time to time (being able to run if fuel system has problem...) However, 3bar regulator is on my list, there are few to be found but I neded one quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts