SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty sure the fpr is bad...I can faintly smell gas from inside the car with the windows down while it's running, and when I try to get on the throttle, it seems to hesitate and have little lean bursts that I can read on my wideband...and my idle is also a tad leaner than it was when it was first tuned. After driving it seems like it adjusts a little, but is a little less responsive (not in limp mode).

Anyways, anywhere that I can get the part from has to order it from the factory, and I was looking into the aftermarket adjustable ones. Mainly because if they hold up better, I can run and pick one up locally tomorrow instead of garaging the car for about a week...because I'm running e85 and 25psi of boost, I feel that they are probably made to handle the higher fuel pressure (and alcohol) and the diaphragm won't rupture as easy... also the adjustable ones might would make tuning a little easier.

Has anyone had any experience with these before (doesn't have to be on a Saab)? I'm trying to find out how I can tap into the fuel rail where the stock fpr is, as I'm not sure if there is a specific adapter that might be able to fit into it, or if anyone has a spare rail and/or regulator that might be able to throw up some pictures as to how they fit together.

·
Registered
914 Posts
For most vehicles, when a FPR has gone bad, it's because the internal diaphragm has failed. That happened to the GM 3800 I had and it made the car run ridiculously rich [I could smell/taste it coming from the exhaust] and hard to start after it had been running. Along the lines of dumping extra fuel into the intake manifold through a vacuum line. Common wear item.

That said, I haven't even looked at the FPR in the Saab. So symptoms of a bad FPR might slightly vary.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well honestly thats what all the crud in the manifold mightve been when i had the throttle body off about 2 months ago when i was cleaning it...not just the normal ****, it was pretty nasty...and I've noticed that gas smell for awhile, but I think when I turned the boost up recently that did it, and all the symptoms got worse. Driving around town it is jumpy as hell and studders on and off, going lean. I might just take the rail off tomorrow to verify that the diaphragm is ruptured.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it looks like for one of the aftermarket ones, you would have to convert the whole fuel system to a return-style system...new pump, rail, regulator, return lines, fittings etc...

Does anyone know if the adjustable bosch one for the t7 cars would fit our rails?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I replaced mine because it was pulling fuel thru the vacuum line and running rich. I got one from NAPA. It took about 10 days to get it, but it looked like the factory one and is working fine.

Jay

·
Registered
306 Posts
An adjustable for would be a waste of money. Any fuel tuning can be done right in the ecu. That being said if your really worried about the ethanol (I wouldn't be) you could see if the newer bio power regulator would fit.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah the whole FPR thing wasn't an issue, it was the fuel pump. replaced the stocker with a 341lph and no problems... And the adjustable ones would be good for older cars with a return type system and a way of open source tuning

1 - 8 of 8 Posts