SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally get my 89 900 convertible all together and start it up I started wondering why it was fully turning over. I take a look at the left side of the engine bay and I have fuel spraying like an angry skunk. from the return line. I know my lines were alittle brittle but this is not cool. Is there a safe fix I can do? Or do I have to consider buying and replacing, or having someone replace the whole fuel line from rail to fuel filter. After 6 months of work I just wana drive my Saab. I've never driven it once.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
you might be able to get some copper etc,small bore pipe to go inside and jubilee clip it together, but this pipe is under pressure so you cannot do an easy fix, but might get away with above instead of a complete pipe change. but someone who has "done it"will be along soon and get you out of the muddle.
what's all that fine white stuff on the engine etc,SNOW??

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not sure how they work what they are called or where to get them. BUT My local indie mechanic told me that someone out there makes repair/patch kits esp for the hard plastic high pressure fuel lines. This probably isn't much help but don't give up. Anything mechanical can be repaired.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
16saabs said:
you might be able to get some copper etc,small bore pipe to go inside and jubilee clip it together, but this pipe is under pressure so you cannot do an easy fix, but might get away with above instead of a complete pipe change. but someone who has "done it"will be along soon and get you out of the muddle.
what's all that fine white stuff on the engine etc,SNOW??
Unfortunately it is snow.

·
4,637 Posts
That's not the return line in your first pic. That's the feed line under pressure. The return line is not under pressure and is unlikely to leak. I had the same problem where the feed line chafed against the body. I just got a short length of 7mm rubber fuel hose and a pair of clamps, cut the plastic line, pushed it inside the fuel hose and clamped it shut. Sorted...

OTOH, if the line has got brittle enough, consider running the rubber fuel hose all the way from filter to engine. This does mean taking out seats and carpet but it's probably worth it for the peace of mind...

·
Registered
843 Posts
I broke the feed line going to the fuel rail on dad's c900 last weekend, when I tried to pull the line out from beneath the starter motor before lifting the engine out.

Showed the broken piece to my friendly hose shop and he gave me a brass fitting (photo below) to reconnect the line. I haven't fitted it yet until the replacement engine goes in, it looks like it may do the job otherwise I'll resort to cdaly's method.

·
4,637 Posts
Shan said:
I broke the feed line going to the fuel rail on dad's c900 last weekend, when I tried to pull the line out from beneath the starter motor before lifting the engine out.

Showed the broken piece to my friendly hose shop and he gave me a brass fitting (photo below) to reconnect the line. I haven't fitted it yet until the replacement engine goes in, it looks like it may do the job otherwise I'll resort to cdaly's method.

You may need brass inserts to go inside the line, otherwise the olives may crush it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts