SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject vehicle is a '92 9000 (my neighbor's). Fuel gauge suddenly became 100% inoperative (always reads empty). Any typical failure items here? I've done zero diagnosis at this point, but figured I'd try to point him in the right direction if there's a common failure item in this circuit.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
116 Posts
If nothing else has also quit working, then its not the fuse. When my gauge was working intermittently, I cleaned the contacts at the sending unit under the rear floor cover in the hatch area and that solved it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Also if I remember correctly, there is a screw/nut right above the gas take in the cabin. I couldn't figure out wy my gauge was screwy. So I just tightened the hell out of that and the outside stopped smelling like gas and the gauge works now.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't know if the '92 fuel pump is the same as '94 and later, or if they have similar fuel level arrangement. There is a float linked by a hard wire which brushes against a flat conducting part on the fuel pump. Level is determined by electrical resistance as the float moves up and down. My guess is the float is stuck. Why does it happen all of a sudden I don't know.

This is inside the fuel tank so you need to open the flange on the tank in the trunk area, pull out the fuel supply and return connections, lift the pump out and look.

Meanwhile, just use the trip meter to gage the gas level in your tank. Matter of fact, I have been doing that on my '94cs turbo. Too lazy to open the tank up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just getting back over here...

Thanks for the ideas. So is there an access door in the trunk area to get access to the fuel tank without dropping it? It would seem that's what is being suggested here, but I just figured I'd verify.

Thanks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts