SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a similar problem and thinking this is a common problem with these Saab’s.I am thinking sender unit ?

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 Aero FWD 6MT
262 Posts
I had a bad sending unit and mine stuck at the level that it was before filling the tank. Others have the needle wander. Most common solution? Replace it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I decided not to replace my sending unit since dropping the tank is a pita. So I zero out the trip odometer and the mpg on each fill up and monitor the mpg to figure when it is time to fill based on the number of miles driven in that cycle. I’ve been doing this for years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I decided not to replace my sending unit since dropping the tank is a pita. So I zero out the trip odometer and the mpg on each fill up and monitor the mpg to figure when it is time to fill based on the number of miles driven in that cycle. I’ve been doing this for years.
How does the computer measure mpg despite the sender not working? I don't know how it would work with or without it, tbh, but I am curious. Also, how would I go about resetting the mpg? Do I just need to have it on screen when I zero the trip, or do I need to use the clear button on the wheel?

·
Registered
726 Posts
The computer measures fuel flow, not the level in the tank. You reset the mpg with the clear button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dropping a tank is such a pita?
I actually thought the process to drop the tank was pretty simple, just have to watch your connections. Working with a floor jack I think it took about 1.5 hours. Hardest part is the locking ring.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do you need quick release tools?
Yes, the multi-color plastic ones. Cheap at a parts store.
For the locking ring, some people have made a tool similar to what Saab Service used, should be a thread or two about that on here. I was lazy and just used a screwdriver and a hammer, took about 10 mins to remove and another 10 to install (holding the tank with my legs an working opposite edges). Ironic how much work you out in to be lazy...
Edit: Taking a vacuum and then wiping down the top around the ring will clean up the debris that could interfere with turning. Also spray some silicone on the mating surfaces. Anything to make it easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read that any car with some serious miles , your better off replacing the pump and sender unit while you've got the tank down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, don't even think of replacing the sending unit only. Replace the whole pump assembly. I replaced only the sending unit on mine, then a few months later the pump failed. Had to do the whole job again, plus pay for the towing. That's the TRUE pita.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts