SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have had this 89 Saab 900 convertible turbo for about 9 months

the fuel gage didn't work when i got it but hadn't driven it much.

i didn't fill it up with gas until about a week ago and filled it up until the pump shut off so it was clear full.

got in to go and the fuel gage said about 7/8 full. as we drove (about 30 miles is all) it went down to 1/2 and then another 20 miles it was down to 1/4.

I presume this is most likely a sticking float in the fuel tank sender?

any thoughts/suggestions on where/how to proceed? new sensor or free this one up?

THanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There's a fuel level sender in the tank. Kind of a fragile piece and it's tricky to find one new (or even used!!!). Had the same issue on my C900 and a good used one solved my issue! The trick to keeping them lasting a good long time is keeping the gas tank above half when you can (also good for the fuel pump), as per my SAAB indie...

Be mindful that 89 and up C900 had a different sender then -88, I think if you put the older style in a newer C900 it'll show the reverse!!! I.E empty when full, full when empty!

·
Registered
35 Posts
if it bothers you enough, id replace it (i have 3 times). See below ebay link for a good part. Run a bead of JB weld around the connecting point of the cylinder and the plastic top to keep them connected long term (let it dry before putting it in the tank), these suckers break apart by simply going over a speed bump with their age now a days. the part is easy enough to get to, unscrew your trunk floor and pull it out, its under a metal plate that just lifts up next to the fuel pump. Use a oil filter claw wrench to unscrew it, link for that below too.
ebay link
oil filter claw

If you dont know when the last time the fuel filter was replaced id do that while youre at it, its under the car in front of the fuel tank, unbolt the ends put the new one in quickly (to limit fuel spill) and youre done, (cycle the fuel pump few times, there will be air in the line).

If youre not driving it much keep it full of fuel, the less fuel you have in a tank when a car is sitting the more space there is for water vapor to build up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
have had this 89 Saab 900 convertible turbo for about 9 months

the fuel gage didn't work when i got it but hadn't driven it much.

i didn't fill it up with gas until about a week ago and filled it up until the pump shut off so it was clear full.

got in to go and the fuel gage said about 7/8 full. as we drove (about 30 miles is all) it went down to 1/2 and then another 20 miles it was down to 1/4.

I presume this is most likely a sticking float in the fuel tank sender?

any thoughts/suggestions on where/how to proceed? new sensor or free this one up?

THanks.
I’ve changed several senders, only to have the issue to continue. What I’ve found is that BP fuel, I use premium, frees the float. Not sure about the whys or what additives might be the cause, but it works for my spg. It may take a few tanks full, but give it a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts