SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you hate it when you go to hit the "preview" button and you bump the "back buttong on your mouse after typing in a long post! :evil: :evil: :evil: I guess that'll learn me for waffling on! :)

I purchased a fuel filter on Saturday from a Saab dealer and I forgot to pick up new washers. I had a look under the car today. Are they fibre or copper? I guess my local auto parts place will be able to help me out with some generic after market fuel filter washers. Anything I should look out for?

Also, the Bentley manual talks about clamping the lines either side of the filter before undoing the banjo unions. I hesitate to clamp the lines with a pair of g-clamps as I worry it will damage the lines and will probably not be that effective when dealing with residual pressure. I see some postings from other members about replacing the filter but I can't see any mention of this. other people's experienced appriciated.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes, I'm very tired. Me trying to keep eyes open: :eek: hehe

I'm really enjoy owning my 900, I've had her for three weeks and I've spent nearly every free second working on it fixing little things up and doing servicings. (like replacing the drive belts~! What a job that was!)

See ya - time for bed, nearly midnight and I'm up at 0520 for work. D'oh, I think i'll be grumpy tomorrow morning! :)

At least I've got a nice car to go to work in!

See ya all,

Andrew.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The standard sealing washers for Bosch FFs seem to be metallic outer with a rubber-like inner. Perhaps copper crush washers or others are also or can be used.

You'll need 4 washers: two large and two small, IIRC (maybe someone can dlbck me on that).

Start the car and pull fuse #30 until the engine quits. Loosen/tighten fuel tank cap.

Clean off boths sides of FF & fuel line ends

Ck flow arrow on old FF (or should also be able to look at small vs big FF hex cap ends)

FF has two diff size banjo bolts on the opposite ends (17mm & 19mm?).

Place a rag around the banjo, then loosen. Expect some fuel to leak out.

Use a 2d wrench on easiest reached FF hex end, as necessary, to offset loosening/tightening the banjos

Keep things as clean possible: the rubber inner of the old sealing washers sometimes crumble/flake inside the fuel line ends: clean out w/a vacuum or whatever (reminder of how tiny the fuel injector openings/pintles are)

Also keep clean the new FF hex ends, the sealing washers, and the fuel line ends: a small bit of dirt will keep things from sealing properly

Ck flow arrow on new FF when installing

If you have a torque wrench, 25 Nm or 18 ft/lbs for the banjos (light-to-moderate tightness): can always tighten a bit more later (but don't overtighten: better to reclean sealing surfaces)

Fire the engine up and ck for leaks. Turn off the engine and ck for leaks.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I found removing the retaining clamp to allow the filter to drop down, made it easier to get the bolts undone!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I know...I was just laughing at myself! for leaving it out in my earlier post. I maybe should have used a :wink: instead

·
Registered
8 Posts
I heard it's bad to let a fuel injected car run out of gas? Any truth to that? I'm about to change my fuel filter and the fuse trick sounds cool but i don't want to hurt anything?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Layano said:
I heard it's bad to let a fuel injected car run out of gas? Any truth to that? I'm about to change my fuel filter and the fuse trick sounds cool but i don't want to hurt anything?
I've heard that too, but have never seen any validation of it - like people having to replace their injectors after running out of gas, or after a failed fuel pump, etc.

A Bosch expert/author says it's fine to pull the fuse.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I fitted the filter on the weekend. Thanks for the replies everyone.

I let the car run with the fuse out as suggested. That seemed to reduce the pressure.

As expected, there was still a fair amount of fuel to deal with once the connectors where off, understandable considering the size of the filter. BTW, don't use a plastic yoghurt container to catch the excess fuel, the bottom melted out - I might as well just let the fuel run all over the workshop floor! ooops, dopey :oops:

I ended up driving the 100km return trip to get the fancy SAAB washers. :eek: they were expensive too.... $35 for four washers!

But I ordered a new Left side front spoiler section while I was there, it was only $45! Go figure! :roll:

When I got the old filter off, it was installed with aluminium washers!!!! :x Oh well, I've now got the bees knees installed. The old ones needed a heap of tourque to release them, but the new ones didn't need a lot to form a good seal, they haven't leaked a drop! :)

Thanks again all,

Andrew.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Layano said:
That's just for diesel engines, you have to pump air out of the system if you run out of diesel as it interrupts the high pressure spray of fuel. Not so crucial in a petrol engine.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I would not recomend to use clamps on the fuel lines to hold back the pressure. I followed the bentley manual procedure which suggests the clamp pliers, and I punctured a hole in my fuel line....I patched it up and it seems to hold fine, but I wish I hadn't used the clamps.

-Rob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply Rob,

That's exactly what I was concerned about happening. I ended up following the advice of others and just removed the fuse.

The Bentley book is funny like that, there are some strange claims in there. For example, when talking about drive belts, they suggest keeping a couple spare in the boot. :eek: Ha. Not bloody likely. There's no way you'd contemplate changing those mongrels on the side of the road with the engine hot and nothing but the emergency tools! I'd rather walk. :-D

Cheers all,

Andrew.

·
Registered
5 Posts
fuel filter location 92 9000cd

:confused: can someone tell me where the fuel filter is located on my 92 9000cd ? I cannot find it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts