SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, when changing the fuel filter on our 9-5 2.3 is it necessary to pull fuse 19 which depressurizes the fuel pump. And then start the car until it fells. I was just worried that my fuel pump system might not start back up properly thanks

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Yes you need to pull fuse 19 and run the engine until it stalls, this will de-pressurise the system for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What brand to use

I don't think the local auto parts store will carry the Bosch in stock, so it looks like my only optons if the bosch is not available are the Wix, Fram, ACDelco, and Purolator. After the Bosch unit which of these would anyone recommend? Is there really a big difference between brands and quality? Thanks for the help, I plan on doing this tomorrow so sorry for the short notice.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
I'd imagine the other brands will be ok, so long as they are the same spec as the Bosch filter. You could always get Nick at GenuineSaab to put one in the post for you.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I wouldn't put a Fram on my car. Get the geniune article from your dealer or an online parts retailer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Job a success!

I just finished replacing the fuel filter and went for a drive. What a difference in gas mileage! I was getting around 27 mpg city. Although it wasn't a long drive, but hopefully I see some increase on my average daily driving. BTW I used a purolator fuel filter since it is Sunday and I couldn't get my hands on a Saab one. As a side note though the one I removed was a Bosch so that must be what Saab is using in Tampa, FL. Interesting..........Thanks for all the advice, made the job easy.

P.S. Don't burn the fuel you catch from drainage anywhere you don't want a huge black cloud! I didn't think it would be that bad, but all the carbon deposits burned a black cloud for 2-3 minutes before it went out and left a pretty good size black ciircle in the road! Glad the neighbors didn't call the fire dept. Next time I'll do it on a back road somewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was wondering the same thing as I was driving, might have just been me being easy on the gas thinking I just replaced this part and didn't want to do any damage.

Only physics related explanation I can think of was less resisance, but this doesn't effect the gas once it gets to the engine. So maybe the engine has less resistance to fuel flow and this somehow increase mpg. My bet is it was just my more lax driving though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
MPG answer

Here is the physics answer you were looking for. I just replaced the air filter yesterday and in conjunction with the new fuel filter it has led to an increase in average mpg in two ways. First the increased and cleaner airflow has led to a better air/fuel mixture. The Fuel filter was pretty old and probably overdue. When this was changed the rust and contaminants were better filtered out, and therefore the fuel was more pure allowing a cleaner burn and better gas mileage.

This combined with a lighter lead foot has increased my mpg. Hopefully this makes sense and is true. That is what I could find on a quick google search and thinking a little more about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts