SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having completed the fuel filter replacement, the greatest difficulty was removing and replacing the plastic cover to access the filter. During removal, I used a 10mm ratchet to the plastic cover nuts and one of them (the one closer to the filter) simply broke off along with the threading that is attached to the bottom sheet metal (like a small stalactite). During replacement, the other plastic cover nut no longer catches to the threading! I guess rust and age have had an effect on this, too. As a result, I cannot seem to re-mount the cover. Now I run the risk of these fuel lines being fully exposed (thank goodness it's not winter, but... "winter is coming." :eek: )

Anyone have suggestions on what to do about re-mounting the plastic cover? I figure it's there for a good reason; so, I don't want to be driving too long without it. :nono;

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
get some of that heavy duty 3M double sided tape

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeremy, you're probably right, but I want to take the "ounce of prevention" because the climate zone I'm in (i.e., #wintersuckshere) will likely result in "a pound of cure."

Not all of these cars even had a plastic cover over the fuel filter. You're probably fine leaving it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm about to do this work on my car on my next oil change. I don't have the plastic cover that you mention of (and saw on youtube that others have posted).

What filter did you use may I ask? I see Bosch but I am not sure what the OE spec is and I learned my lesson that sticking with OE is best choice regardless of the maker.

My other choices are: Hengst (what I'll be most likely buying), and Kayser

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hengst is fine, Bosch is ok, Mahle is another good one. The cover is there more to stop the lines and/or filter from being snagged by road debris than anything else. Mnay cars have lost ot over the years and it matters not a fig...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Some filters come with new aluminum/rubber banjo washers, some don't. My recent filter purchase from eEuro didn't come with. Luckily I have a large handful on hand.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed Bosch, and I did not notice any change in the fuel consumption rate (MPG). (I don't know how else to measure how great a job the fuel filter is doing.)

I'm about to do this work on my car on my next oil change. I don't have the plastic cover that you mention of (and saw on youtube that others have posted).

What filter did you use may I ask? I see Bosch but I am not sure what the OE spec is and I learned my lesson that sticking with OE is best choice regardless of the maker.

My other choices are: Hengst (what I'll be most likely buying), and Kayser

·
Registered
734 Posts
Is there a good resource for how to replace this?
Never have replaced one of these before, nor on this car, and it's sitting in a box ready to go!
No idea if the line will be pressurized, if air bubbles matter, etc..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts