SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I went to install a new fuel filter can anyway help me . I cant uncsrew the nits that are on each side of the filter. someone said they were banjo joints - not sure what that means or how to get these off.

Thanks in advance
snick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel filter

thanks, but im looking for specifics on loosening the nuts on each side of filter
I usually find that after doing a procedure multiple times, there is a shortcut. If someone has any handy tips that have worked for them , please let me know.
snic

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
There really aren't any shortcuts for this job. Just make sure you have some flare nut wrenches so you don't damage the fuel line fittings.

·
Registered
107 Posts
TIP = be sure to run the engine and pull the fuel pump fuse to be sure to depressurize the fuel system.

I just did the job and was surprised how fast the car died; no pressure in the system, but the filter is large so hold a lot of gas so be careful; some appropriate sized spanner wrenches and star drivers were all I needed; car started faster than I expected after and never had issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Were you able to get those bolts off? The outside one came off easily, but I am having hell of a time getting the inner one off. It simply won't budge. Suggestions?

·
Registered
107 Posts
xjerryx said:
Were you able to get those bolts off? The outside one came off easily, but I am having hell of a time getting the inner one off. It simply won't budge. Suggestions?
Longer wrenches; get better leverage getting under the car more; and best of all spray some penetrating opil on the bolt daily for at least a few days before you do the job.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Important to use wrenches with the very least slippage; only high quality( flare nut) long wrenches need apply.. A man must use two at one time. And a knowledge of the dynamics of mechanics is necessary.
The DIY must possess the same knowledge as the pro mechanic in a great many cases...and it took me years to learn this.....as a pro....
Many wrenches on the market are pretty, good only for very light duty, not to be stretched to their limitations, in some cases, not to be used at all....but quickly deposited.....:cheesy:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Use this type of wrench. They're used for brake lines. I wouldn't trust a regular wrench for that job

Good luck :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
You will need the proper sized metric wrenches as I'm sure Dip specified.

One wrench holds the body of the filter at the end, then another unbolts the banjo bolt. Another size is used at the opposite end.

Banjo bolts are bolts that have been machined hollow to allow fluid to pass. Your turbo is fitted with them too.

I personally haven't had luck with running the fuel out, with the car on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts